INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
tablafreak

Reply with quote  #1 
I noticed he ties some sort of cuticle protector to his fingers. Does anyone know what these are?

Reply with quote  #2 
They look like slightly modified (cut or chopped) finger tape wraps, used often by martial artists and hand percussionists.

My friends who play doumbek use something similar to keep their fingers from nerve damage and callousing.

With sarangi, I suspect the reasons are more cosmetic.
ragamala

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Malik"
They look like slightly modified (cut or chopped) finger tape wraps, used often by martial artists and hand percussionists.

My friends who play doumbek use something similar to keep their fingers from nerve damage and callousing.

With sarangi, I suspect the reasons are more cosmetic.
In that case I'm prompted to say - what a wimp!
David Berner

Reply with quote  #4 
Zohaib-ji is one of the strongest people i know, i wouldn't say he's a wimp by any means. There are several sarangi players in Pakistan that use various finger coverings, i can assure you it's not about cosmetics... These artists care about how they sound, not how they look. I'll leave it at that.
ragamala

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "David
Zohaib-ji is one of the strongest people i know, i wouldn't say he's a wimp by any means. ....................... I'll leave it at that.
Good to know. I think, though, this does merit a bit more discussion.

Firstly the strips are very thin, and the fixing tape actually seems to cover the cuticle area. Which maybe means that he plays on the nail not the cuticle area? In this case some protection would indeed be needed as it is impossible to play on the nail without wearing it through.

the second point of interest is how thin the strips are. Most calluses build up over a substantial area meaning that most players would have a far greater area of the finger in contact with the string at various points during playing than the narrow strip covered by these patches implying a far more "straight on 90 degrees" style. In particular the third finger would tend to be played more to the left (ie the side facing the thumb) than central.

The third point is the support of the fourth finger, which not all sarangi players would use at all for playing.

Any comments David if you know him well?

Here's a close-up clip, in case anyone hasn't seen the video. Dr K any comments? Martin S?

http://www.trulliland.co.uk/private/fingers.jpg
Malik

Reply with quote  #6 
Gents,

I think style trumps cosmetics, having watched the whole movie from start to finish, now. It looks like Zohaibbhai favors a steady bowing pattern and frequent finger changes. (as opposed to sliding more on one finger) Some tape placed on fingers that are constantly moving could maybe assist in anchoring the note, while preserving the nail. I could speculate until the moon sets, though.

Either way, it's exciting to see that Lahore is returning to its glory with the younger generation!

Check out this link for some other exciting vitat/sarangi prospects there:

Sachal studios is quickly becoming a big name in Pakistan, and restoring some dignity and fame to a number of older artists who put down their instruments in the 80s and 90s.

Enjoy,

M
DrKashyap

Reply with quote  #7 
Four finger technique is an old established technique among sarangi players hailing from Jalandhar & Amritsar. To cite few names they are Hussainbux amritsari, Nathukhan, allarakha, Faqeerhussain, khawarhussain etc..

This technique evolved to ease the work of thumri, dadra, tappa & taiyyari (fast passage of notes). Some players go to the extent of omitting 3rd finger altogether in certain raags. They use 1,2 & 4 fingers only.

There are others who occasionally use the fourth finger for only certain movements like in sapat or in kans. U. Bunduklhan & few from delhi/banaras used this thing intelligently in tappa/dadra.

Regarding covering the nails, yes it is mainly to protect nail from subsequent damage due to heavy riyaz. In some cases they use when sarangi head is reskinned, as here the string position is bit higher for the nail players to cut at nail/skin junction. Only after some weeks, the skin sets in to bring the gut string back to proper nail position. This is more evident on higher notes.

I have seen Pt. Ramnarayan ji applying artificial nails occasionally. I could find one video where a sarangi player is applying nail guards.

martin spaink

Reply with quote  #8 
Maybe he uses some high-tech self-lubricating kevlar tape? No sign of talcum powder!
But best if someone can ask the man, please pass along my sincere compliments!
tablafreak

Reply with quote  #9 
Very good information Dr. K and Dave. Thanks for the info.

Reply with quote  #10 
Those strings he uses look fairly rough, that may add to necessitating the protection(?)
The harp strings I use are very smooth-
David Berner

Reply with quote  #11 
|ʘ‿ʘ)╯Hello, I'm pleased to announce Zohaib Hassan's new website!! Please feel free to share it with all of your friends that love music... thank you... enjoy...
http://zohaibhassanamritsari.com/Zohaib_Hassan/Opening_Page.html
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.