INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
pbercker

Reply with quote  #1 
I'm just being silly of course, since there was no "imfamous" (or even famous) "string incident", but there was a slightly amusing incident when Zakirji was playing in honor of Anindoji's birthday when, near the beginning, the string suddenly appeared from his baya at which point he picked it up and looked at it quizzically almost like an unwanted guest and tossed it away (had I been there I confess I would might have looked for that string after the concert and made it my own bit of zakirji memorabilia!).

But my question is this: why on earth was there a string under the chat of the *baya* to begin with?? I'm quite familiar with the string under the chat of the daya which I used to think was mandatory. It's only recently that I've discovered that the string, according to David Courtney I believe, is quite optional, and some tabla player quite specifically omit the string because otherwise the TA sound is too sharp (I guess they prefer they tablas with no strings attached!) I myself indeed prefer the dayan with the string precisely because it does give a slightly sharper more aggressive TA/NA sound that I like very much!

To the extent that I understand the basic mechanics, the basic idea is that the string slightly raises the chat and lets the middle membrane a bit freer to vibrate while also allowing for a sharper TA/NA sound (with the index finger).

But it seems to me that because the chat on the bayan is not nearly as tightly bound to the maidan (the middle membrane) since I can even stick the tip of my index finger underneath it, that a string surely makes very little difference? Indeed I've just put on on my today and I simply can't tell much - if any - of a difference!

So to finish up my inquiry, I have the following set of questions:

1) How many of you put a string under the chat of the Dayan? (why/why not would be interesting but optional).
2) How many of you put a string under the chat of the Bayan?
3) What kind of a string do you use?
4) Does any one have any recommendations about what kind of string to use?
5) Any interesting horror stories about what *not* to use as string material?

This will be due my by Monday morning. ....

Pascal
p.s. just kidding about the monday morning deadline ....
tuesday will be fine!
p.s.s. David .... if you should happen to read this post, your professional opinion on this matter would greatly be appreciated!

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
Acelga

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Pascal,
I started a thread some while ago after watching Zakir pulling out the string of the dayan, just before the semiclassical section of the concert(*).
I
pbercker

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Pascal,
I started a thread some while ago after watching Zakir pulling out the string of the dayan, just before the semiclassical section of the concert(*).
I

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
Acelga

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "pbercker"
I only noticed him taking the string from his Bayan (at 13:32) but I may have missed his taking the string from his dayan. This would be quite surprising to me since the string is normally firmly in place once lodged deep under the chat, at least as I do it. On the other hand it's not too surprising I would think that a string on the bayan will wriggle it's way out to freedom since it's so much looser on the bayan.
You
pbercker

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
I have sacrified lots of pudis too (which had nothing more to offer than frustration), not in anger but for the sake of science. Like sanding the syahi, cutting out the kinar and some other taboos. I learned a lot with such stuff :mrgreen:
oh .... yes ... I've sacrificed many pudis to many other deities besides anger and frustration .... especially when anger and frustration is but the symptom of other deeper ills that I thought could be salved with secret potions of olive oil ... super glue ... rice paste ... silicon caulk ... and even just plain old spit! why? because I was driven to complete distraction with a *buzzy* pudi that just would just not go away .... so I say it had it coming when that hammer showed up at its door step .... sure cured that buzz in a hurry!

I have finally learned that a buzzy tabla is but an opporturnity to learn to be patient and look the other way until it finally works itself out as recently happened with one of my favorites. It buzzed for 2 months straight but I completely ignored it and went on practicing on it as if nothing was amiss. It finally gave up when it realized it was on a forlorn quest to get my dander up, and one fine day I played a crisp TUN and a tiny little black fleck popped out and never bothered me again. ....

PB

Bhakta

Reply with quote  #6 
My bayan sounded really flat and didn't have much sustain or resonance. I put string in the pudi and honestly felt that it really made a difference. I put it in my bayan pudi a few months ago and I still have it there. I still feel that it made a difference. I bought my tabla set about 8 years ago used and still haven't changed the pudi on the bayan, so perhaps age may be why the bayan pudi sounded so flat.

I didn't have any options at home at the time I decided to put string in my bayan pudi except for tiny sewing thread or twine. So I split the three pieces of twine that were wound together and used one piece of it to put under the chaat. I had to pick a few loose threads off every now and then that would pop out from under the chaat occasionally, but so far I've been pretty pleased with the results and only now do I remember putting the string there after seeing this thread. I'd say thicker thread like the twine I've used is bound to give a better result than what is used on dayan.
Luistabla

Reply with quote  #7 
Hi Pascal,
I
Bhakta

Reply with quote  #8 
Hi Pascal,
I
Luistabla

Reply with quote  #9 

Jump to about 5:30 in the below video.

Excellent! i
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.