INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #1 
If you'd like to participate, this could be interesting....

Name, if you will, your top five (or more) sitar "brands" or makers, and why. Of course, you can also name your not so good ones too....since I still consider myself a newbie, I won't venture an answer myself.......

How about strings? Do you have any favourites and any that you are sour on?

Reply with quote  #2 
What about some of the NONE big namers such as my dealers in Varanasi???

Nick
ram.sitar

Reply with quote  #3 
I play J.K.Sengupta's instrument. One is 15 years old, another one has completed 1 year.
Both are very matured as far as their age is concerned.

I have played Kanai Lal, Hiren Roy, Rikhi Ram, Kishori Nashkar, Makhan Lal, Mangla Prasad Sharma, Yusuf Mirajkar's insruments for several times.
I love to play their instruments.
Shahid Miajkar (Miraj / Mumbai) is doing a good job now a days.
For last 20 years, I am using Sarat Sardar & Son's (Kolkata - Lal Bazar Area) Sitar Main string - I believe it is unmatched till date.

(since I still consider myself a newbie, I won't venture an answer myself on 'why' )

Ramprapanna Bhattacharya
http://ramprapanna.webs.com
gillo

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Ram
Quote:
Originally Posted by "ram.sitar"
I play J.K.Sengupta's instrument. One is 15 years old, another one has completed 1 year.
Is this the old J K Sengupta sitar in this video?

Is the new one now your main instrument? Do you have some videos/recordings of this one to compare? What are the features of it that you like? Sorry for all the questions but I also have a sitar from J K Sengupta within the last year and am curious.

regards
Simon
ram.sitar

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "gillo"
Hi Ram

Is this the old J K Sengupta sitar in this video?

Is the new one now your main instrument? Do you have some videos/recordings of this one to compare? What are the features of it that you like? ...

regards
Simon
@Simon

Hi,

No problem, I will answer.
Yes, I have played my ‘elder’ Sitar in the video link you shared.
Darbari Composition:

One very small clip of my performance on the ‘younger’ Sitar is now available on youtube
(recording quality is very poor):
Puria Kalyan:

This will not be justified to compare tone/quality of sound of these two Sitars by listening to 2nd clip, as it was captured in mobile from a considerable distance. So, you will not be able to feel the real sound of the newer Sitar from here. I will upload some clip with newer one later and will share with you.
The older one is quite seasoned instrument now, producing sound with profoundness and depth. It sounds best on C-Sharp. The newer one is best when tuned on D – natural. I am mostly performing with the older one in concerts, but have introduced the other as well.
My new Sitar is sounding exceptionally well, as a new born, considering the good resonance, depth of sound of jor string, gorgeous chikari sound and wonderful response of the sympathetic strings. It is very adorable and easy to carry. It’s own characteristic sound will be developed at least after 5 years with rigorous playing.

I must say, J.K.Sengupta is one of the finest instrument maker today. You will not be disappointed if you continue to play his instrument.

Ramprapanna Bhattacharya
gillo

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks Ram - I look forward to hearing more... I also agree that J K Sengupta is a fine instrument maker... my experience is that quality and fine detail are important to him...

regards
Simon
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #7 
I too am looking forward to a more..... hmmm....controlled setting to hear both...perhaps with the same raag.....I appreciate the response...

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Thanks Ram - I look forward to hearing more... I also agree that J K Sengupta is a fine instrument maker... my experience is that quality and fine detail are important to him...

regards
Simon
Quote:
Originally Posted by "OM
I too am looking forward to a more..... hmmm....controlled setting to hear both...perhaps with the same raag.....I appreciate the response...

@Simon & OM GUY

Thanks for your response.
As you said, I have uploaded one more clipping of my Sitar recital with my newer sitar today.
Unfortunately the entire recital was not captured, hence a small portion of it is uploaded.
Here is the link of the upload:

Link to access all of my uploads is given below:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ramprapanna?feature=mhum#g/u

Ramprapanna Bhattacharya
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "ram.sitar"
Quote:

regards
Simon
Quote:
Originally Posted by "OM

@Simon & OM GUY

Thanks for your response.
As you said, I have uploaded one more clipping of my Sitar recital with my newer sitar today.
Unfortunately the entire recital was not captured, hence a small portion of it is uploaded.
Here is the link of the upload:

Link to access all of my uploads is given below:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ramprapanna?feature=mhum#g/u

Um....nope....no....I'm sorry...I can't hear it too well....you'll just have to come to Bothell, Washington and play your entire recital in our Temple here, just so I can hear it better! Deal?

Seriously, that was outstanding...thank you so very much for the links! HAre OM!!

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "OM
Um....nope....no....I'm sorry...I can't hear it too well....you'll just have to come to Bothell, Washington and play your entire recital in our Temple here, just so I can hear it better! Deal?

Seriously, that was outstanding...thank you so very much for the links! HAre OM!!
Thank you very much for the complement. It will be my pleasure to perform for you. Let's see how things materialize.
Hari Aum

Ramprapanna Bhattacharya
sitariya

Reply with quote  #11 
"Shahid Miajkar (Miraj / Mumbai) is doing a good job now a days."

I bought my new sitar from Shahid bhai when I was in India in Aug. I was looking for a professional VK style sitar and Shahid Bhai had built a fantastic sitar exactly with my specifications ( they were simple. Built a sitar just like he built for my guru ) I asked for few changes when I played the sitar, he made them quickly. As I have started playing it more, it is sounding really beautiful. I am just loving it. I play in D scale and I can easily pull meends from Sa to Pa on this sitar with thick bridge. He is very professional and was cheaper than most of the other sitarists I inquired. I would recommend him highly. People are normally not excited by the quality of Miraj sitars. But with him, things can be different now.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.