INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
festus

Reply with quote  #1 
How old of a Bina would you guess this sitar to be ?

On eBay: Item number: 140024015943
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #2 
From the label, I would guess around the early 1960's. Seems to be in pretty good shape. Only 10 taraf pegs and none missing. That's a bit unusual though not collectible / rare. Looks like a smallish size. A few frets missing and those bridges just gotta go. Pegs are typical rough cut ball end. Nothing special. Should be a fun project for somebody with the chops and the parts. Cheers!

Reply with quote  #3 
That ridiculously overpriced bastardised Veena is back on at
WAIT FOR IT

$4250

Item number: 180020859931

Tony
Do you know what make of sitar might have a Harlequin figure carrying a squeezebox as its strike board motif.
I have a pic of me playing my first guru's sitar & this is the decal?? on it.
I could email it to you. It's well over 30 years old if it still exists.

Nick
David Russell Watson

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "trippy
That ridiculously overpriced bastardised Veena is back on at
WAIT FOR IT

$4250

Item number: 180020859931
I can't figure that thing out from the photo. Is the instrument on
the right with a square soundbox supposed to be the insert? It
seems too wide to fit the square hole in the end of the vina, and
also has frets which the article claims the insert does not. If one
wants sympathetic strings on a vina, then why not just run them
down the side beside the talam strings as they've done with ebay
item #180020872293 ? The system with an insert seems like just
about the clumsiest way imaginable to go about it.
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #5 
I emailed these people to ask if they were serious about it. They thought I meant the instrument being a joke but I meant the PRICE
Yes it IS supposed to be inserted to resonate when the veena is plucked. BULL!!!!!

Somebody is being outrageously cheated on this thing. Look at the postage price too. It would be cheaper to pick it up yourself in India.

The taraf thing is just a Gottuvadyam with its frets left on.

Nick
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #6 
There is a sucker born every minute. But hey what about "Turn Your Telly Into A Sitar In Under One Minute!!!" (http://cgi.ebay.com/TURN-your-TELLY-into-a-SITAR-within-1-MINUTE(
W0QQitemZ180025927470QQihZ008QQcategoryZ42455QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have cable but can't receive the Hiren Roy channel. :?
K
Andius

Reply with quote  #7 
Nick,

Only $4250!!! ME ME ME I want it!!!!! Ill proudly take it straight down to my Bank Manager when I get it. I expect he'll give me an overdraft for sure! No-one else will have an instrument like that. only ME! :wink:

Wonder if it comes with earplugs?

seriously I suppose its a case of buyer beware. Maybe the seller is just trying his luck; with millions of hits on E-Bay he's hoping that one total idiot may bite. More money than sense. Anyway, I hope NO-ONE bites.
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #8 
I've never seen anyone actually get this awful thing yet. GOOOODDD

Nick
AbdulLatif

Reply with quote  #9 
Wow I was tripping on that god awful veen of dubious parentage awhile back. I think the intent was to build a swarmandal box and hope it resonated when tucked away in the marsupial like pouch. The truly ridiculous claim that it took 7 years to construct is too much. A couple of forum members have pointed out that a top quality saraswati veen takes no more than a year to build. I recently ran across a really obscure website for veens in Tanjore and they appear to be top quality, a far cry from the crap that seller is praying to retire on. I found the link to the Tanjore(?) maker by navigating one of those HinduTimes-Chennai newspaper edition websites...lost the addie when my HD died.
Hmmm on second thought a ball hitch and a couple of wheels would make that veeen into an excellent caravan (RV to the Yanks)

PS: I owned a "top of the line" bina sitar about 20 years ago and it was a very nice sitar, full carving, lotus pegs, good sound. I assume that Bina does the same as the other retailors in India and outsources sitars from various makers according to cost and quality. An older top grade Bina on Ebay might be something for a starting player to look at, the low end Binas have and always will be worthless backscratchers not even good looking enough for a wall hanger.

Reply with quote  #10 
My first surbahar was made by BINA of Southall, London at least 20 years ago now from when I got it.

Mahadev calls it the 'funkiest surbahar ever'. It's certainly a bit different anyway. It has a longer than normal neck but a smaller gourd area.
Haven't we all wished for a figure like that EH??? :wink:

Nick
festus

Reply with quote  #11 
I wasn't interested in buying the sitar... only in gleaning your ideas as to how old it may be, and more importantly how you come to your conclusions. I can guess from peg types, fret widths, toomba size etc. but I ( as ALWAYS ) need more info and I was just picking your brains :wink: Clues from decorations?? etc.
Thanks
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.