INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Vikash

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi, I've put a short clip of Yogeshji from our recent Master Class on the SAAZ website:

http://www.saazmusic.org/tabla.asp

Free Lehera Software | Mad About Sound?
Jamie

Reply with quote  #2 
Thanks Vikash (WOW)

That video is a lesson to people with tense hands.

Such a shame Yogesh couldn't perform at this year's Darbar. The future of tabla is bright as long as there's people like him around. I've gotta say - Yogesh, Sanju Sahai, Shabbir Nisar, Shubhanker Banerjee, Akram Khan, Bikram Ghosh (and many more I've missed) - tabla is definately in safe hands at the moment.

Ps. The Senseworld recording of Yogesh is one of the best (if not 'the' best) and most 'complete' recordings of a solo tabla recital I've heard. Recommended.

Jamie

adunc069

Reply with quote  #3 
So I watched your link yesterday afternoon. Then I just so happened to go see the sarodist Pandit Tejundra Majumdar and guess who was playing with him, Yogesh Swami. It was a really great show. The first thing to say about the show is they both played really well together. and they both played exceptionally. Yogeshjis solos were jawdroppingly amazing. All his bols were extremely clear, even at very fast speeds. They played a gat in ektal which they did a jhalla in. I've never heard that before, anyways by the end of their jhalla section it was so fast it sounded like dadra. The thing is Yogeshji was still playing all the bols for ektal at an incredibly fast speed. When they played a call-answer section, in which I've seen many tabliyas chicken out when it gets complex, he did not. By the way, Yogeshji is on an album with ustad Shahid Parvez called Madhuvanti:A tribute to my father.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.