INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
vintagesounds

Reply with quote  #1 
Starting May 14th I'll be in Hyderabad for a month and a half. I was originally going to start sitar lessons as soon as my exams were done(end of this month), but as it happens, now I'm going on this trip to India. I still need to get an instrument so the last time I was there I thought about looking around but never got the time, although I did score a hilariously badly made but nonetheless fun to play "Gibtone" acoustic guitar...supplied with "Givson" picks :roll: . This time I'll have plenty of time, just wondering if it's worth wasting any trying to find a half decent sitar to learn on in Hyderabad. There don't seem to be a lot of music stores there. Anyone have any recommendations? Should I just wait till I come home(Toronto)?

Sajjad
sohummusicals

Reply with quote  #2 
Hello Sajjad,

Since you will be staying in Hyderabad for 1 1/2 month, you can catch a Bus/Train to Sangli/Miraj , travel overnight and pick one good quality sitar(at Cheaper Price) instead of trying to find one in Hyderabad. There are more than 40 Shops in one single lane in Miraj and you can Choose a good one by yourself.

--

Upendra
jiva

Reply with quote  #3 
You might try New Music Palace nearby in Secunderabad.

Sarojini Devi Road,Opposite Tajmahal Hotel
S D Road, Secunderabad, 500003

Had a very good experience with them when I got my sitar in 2005. Nice people and reliable. A fellow by the name of Manish was running it then.

Good luck!
vintagesounds

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks very much guys, I'll check both places out. I think I know exactly where that place in Secunderabad is. I'd love to go to Miraj too as it'll make for a good photo opportunity(something else I plan to be doing a lot of) and as I'm already going to Aurangabad I may as well adapt my travel route to accommodate it. Now, the question of how to avoid NRI pricing... :mrgreen:
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.