INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
rajabala

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello everyone .. my daya was attacked by a worm ... I do not know if the liquid pesticides can damage the skin and straps.the procedure is to distribute the liquid with a brush and close the daya in a plastic bag for 7days.maybe vapors can damage the skin and sihay? I have to disassemble everything and only work in the wood? I am a carpenter and I know the procedure but I fear that the skin is damaged ... what do you recommend? thanks
Lars

Reply with quote  #2 
You could try mineral spirits on the wood applied liberally and then close it in a bag tightly, the fumes should kill anything without liquid going on the skin.
What kind of dayan is it? I've never had a problem like this ever.....

Reply with quote  #3 
hi .. thanks for the suggestion.... the dayan is a 5,75 from banaras, seesham wood.
sohummusicals

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "rajabala"
hi .. thanks for the suggestion.... the dayan is a 5,75 from banaras, seesham wood.
If it is dark shesham wood it cant be attacked by termites. Just the white wood can be attacked by termites. If you have Kerosine or Gasoline, just Spray it on the Dayan shell and leave it for some minutes. the worms/Termites will get killed.
-U
Lars

Reply with quote  #5 
Gasoline or kerosene is pretty nasty in my opinion and highly flammable. Mineral spirits are less toxic and messy, you would still want to put it in a bag in case the bugs are inside the dayan just to be sure.

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "sohummusicals"
Quote:
Originally Posted by "rajabala"
If it is dark shesham wood it cant be attacked by termites. Just the white wood can be attacked by termites. If you have Kerosine or Gasoline, just Spray it on the Dayan shell and leave it for some minutes. the worms/Termites will get killed.
-U
hello upendra how are you ?this is the effect of the worm in the photo ... you can see the sawdust in the ring, a sign that the worm is alive and eat ... eat ... eat ..... I hope to resolve the problem before others dayans are attacked....
I have tried to inject gas into the holes but do not want to die ...
The dayan is not black seesham unfortunately.
Are you sure that the fumes do not damage the skin and sihay? I ask you are an experienced tabla maker ...

thanks!

Attached Images
jpeg SAM_0039.jpg (252.83 KB, 1 views)

sohummusicals

Reply with quote  #7 
I didnt ask you to dip the whole dayan in Kerosine or Gasoline. Just use a syringe to fill the holes. Those worms are (PPB)Powder Post Beetles and can be removed by Fumigation process. Bromide vapors i Suppose.
-U
rajabala

Reply with quote  #8 
i just fill the holes with a syringer...they don't die...last solution is use a brush and paint the whole dayan with the liquid...but i'm afraid about the vapors inside the bag for 7 days...
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.