INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
obby

Reply with quote  #1 
Wondering about a procedure I've seen performers do- On occasion I've seen players work with a piece of red thread on the heads of the tabla- From a distance it looks like they are working the thread under the heads perhaps to get the layers flush? or perhaps to remove a broken off piece of the gab?

Do drums ever come equiped with this feature?
Obby
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "obby"
Wondering about a procedure I've seen performers do- On occasion I've seen players work with a piece of red thread on the heads of the tabla- From a distance it looks like they are working the thread under the heads perhaps to get the layers flush? or perhaps to remove a broken off piece of the gab?

Do drums ever come equiped with this feature?
Obby
"The effects of the chat upon the tone may be illustrated in several ways. The most obvious is the manner in which the craftsman trims the chat to give the right tone upon completion of the tabla. Another is a trick used by many musicians to enhance the tone of their instruments; a string is place around the drum between the chat and the maidan. This may have an effect which is sometimes subtle and sometimes great. There is another trick which is used to make the tabla sound like a mridangam (a south Indian barrel shaped drum). For this, small wooden pieces are inserted between the chat and the maidan such that the wood extends until it just touches the syahi. These are all tricks which utilize the acoustic interactions between the chat and the maidan, thus demonstrating the effect of the chat upon the tone of the tabla." D. Courtney

http://www.chandrakantha.com/tablasite/articles/pudi2.htm

Obby,
You'll find most of the answers to your questions about tabla construction here: http://www.chandrakantha.com/i_n_d_e_x.html
or starting with the local site map to the left on this very page.

A.

Reply with quote  #3 
Sometimes folks put the thread under - to get rid of a slight buzz.
K
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.