INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Ramesh

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello Sirs and Madame's,
Namaskar.Ive recently moved to Tarzana California from the Philippines and Ive brought my sitar with me,a Mangla Prasad Sharma Teak sitar.Ive been playing it for almost 2 years in the Philippines with no problem.But just yesterday when I tried to tune the tarafs,I found it hard to turn the pegs.I actually snapped 4 or 5 strings doing it.I had to change the strings and be very careful in tuning them.
This is the first time this happened considering that I tune my sitar to C.Im thinking that maybe the weather has affected the neck or something since I never encountered this problem in the Philippines(which is a tropical country).Do i need to warm it up or something?Can I use a string lower or thinner than 0 for the tarafs and chikari?(is there even a string lower than 0?)
I would highly appreciate any advice from you senior musicians and maestros.
God bless you all.
sincerely,
ramesh

Reply with quote  #2 
Namaste Ramesh
May we presume you've had no problems with your main playing pegs?
If so then you might have to take out your taraf pegs & put a tiny bit of chalk on them before retuning.
Also give your sitar a little more time to settle.

Nick
Ramesh

Reply with quote  #3 
Namaste Nick,
I did exactly that.I removed the pegs,chalked them,changed the strings and yet two of the also broke.I guess youre right,I'll let my sitar adjust to the weather and try again in a week.Thank you so much for the advice.Hari Om.
sincerely,
ramesh

Reply with quote  #4 
Ramesh-ji
Is it possible the ones that broke were tuned a ilttle too high?

Nick
Sanjeeb

Reply with quote  #5 
About using chalk on the pegs to prevent slipping, an alternate I prefer is fine wooden sawdust as it is not abrasive.
Ramesh

Reply with quote  #6 
Namaste Nickji,
The new strings (even the old ones which broke first) were tuned just right to C.I personally am very careful when it comes to tuning.I tune slowly and always checking if Im tuning a little to high.I tune progressively(low to high) and never regressively(high to low).
What bothered me is the fact that I tune my sitar to C.My Mangla can actually meend longer than my old student(firewood) sitar,even my Guru said my sitar could meend longer than his sitar ( a 3o year old Hemen).Thats why i found it confusing as to why my sitar seems to have lost its "resiliency".
By the way,the new strings Ive put,even after I had put the chalk on the pegs,broke also 2 times(on 2 different pegs).Im really assuming the weather is making my sitar's neck contract or something.
But right now,it seems to be okay,I was able to tune all the pegs right.Im just worried if i need to put my sitar beside a heater or something(which I dont have),or spray something for it not contract.

Namaste Sanjeebji,
Yes I will try my best to acquire saw dust,Thank you so much for the tip.

Thank you so much for you concern and your willingness to coach me on this.Ive only been playing sitar for 2 years(not even consistently)and this is the first time I had it out of the Philippines.So Im really just a beginner.Hari Om.

namaskar,
ramesh

Reply with quote  #7 
In the East coast we have sitar pegs that stick in the summer and slip in the winter (dryness due to central heating). Seems like you might have more sticking in rainy season in Calif, though on the other hand I imagine there is plenty of humidity year-round in the Philippines.

Most likely your strings broke because they just came to the end of their natural life. Were they two years old? If so, no wonder! And where did the strings come from? When they were put on, were they nice shiny steel from brand-new coils? Or were they the yucky Indian-paper-package kind that lives for god-knows-how-many-years on the shelf in India, then starts their playing life on a sitar somewhere.

Best practice is to completely change the whole sitar at least every year. It's not rocket science.
Ramesh

Reply with quote  #8 
Namaskar Deji,
Thanks so much for your advice.I got he strings from Mr.Sharma of MPS and from Manoj Kumar Sardar.The first strings that broke were last put on probably 8mos to a year ago.When i changed the strings with new ones it also snapped.But anyway thats was weeks ago and somehow my sitar has adjusted to the weather.I also observed that my strings become more resilient during tuning when i totally detune it first and tune it rather than tuning it from where its at already(like C - C#).Still,thank you so much for your advice.I really appreciate it.
Hari Om.
ramesh

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.