INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Benarsidass

Reply with quote  #1 
I just took a look at the Wikipedia entry for the Farukhabad gharana and was shocked to see how much misinformation it contains. From the claim that it is "without a doubt the oldest gharana" (I've never even heard anyone make that claim) to "the first bols introduced in Tabla were TAT-DHIT-THUM-NAN" (an impossible claim to support) to "Ustad Sabir Khan who is the 33rd generation of this unbroken lineage" (that would take us back at least 660 years!).

This kind of misinformation is usually corrected on Wikipedia but someone has to take the time to provide information that is well documented. I don't have the time but I'm sure there are some folks here who do. Any takers?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farukhabad_gharana
pbercker

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Benarsidass"
I just took a look at the Wikipedia entry for the Farukhabad gharana and was shocked to see how much misinformation it contains. From the claim that it is "without a doubt the oldest gharana" (I've never even heard anyone make that claim) to "the first bols introduced in Tabla were TAT-DHIT-THUM-NAN" (an impossible claim to support) to "Ustad Sabir Khan who is the 33rd generation of this unbroken lineage" (that would take us back at least 660 years!).

This kind of misinformation is usually corrected on Wikipedia but someone has to take the time to provide information that is well documented. I don't have the time but I'm sure there are some folks here who do. Any takers?

It's hard to know how to go about correcting this entry. For example, consider the "lineage' given:
Quote:
Descendant of the Farukkabad Gharana 1.Mir Akaasa(founder) (1132 - 1189) 2.Ustad Bilawal Khan (1151 - 1208) 3.Ustad ALi Bux (kran) (1182 - 1255) 4.Ustad Bairam Khan (1204 - 1260) 5.Ustad Dhamman Khan (1236 - 1292) 6.Ustad Tajalmulh Khan (1260 - 1297) 7.Ustad Bunda Khan (1284 - 1329) 8.Ustad Asgari Khan (1306 - 1348) 9.Ustad Ali Raza Khan (1331 - 1371) 10.Ustad Ali Ahmed Khan (1355 - 1398) 11.Ustad Ramzan Khan (1378 - 1438) 12.Ustad Bakshu Khan (1397 - 1508) 13.Ustad Ali Asgar Khan (1425 - 1480) 14.Ustad Neyaz Khan (1450 - 1525) 15.Ustad Daulu Khan (1496 - 1548) 16.Ustad Waheed Khan (1517 - 1565) 17.Ustad Altaf Khan (1534 - 1574) 18.Ustad Jannesar Khan (1546 - 1609) 19.Ustad Dilawar Khan (1570 - 1646) 20.Ustad Yawar Khan (1602 - 1653) 21.Ustad Nasru Khan (1628 - 1677) 22.Ustad Bhurey Khan (1648 - 1691) 23.Ustad Enayat Khan (1676 - 1732) 24.Ustad Murad Khan (1705 - 1747) 25.Ustad Inam Ali Khan (1731 - 1790) 26.Ustad Shetab Ali Khan (1759 - 1816) 27.Ustad Aman ALi Khan (1779 - 1826) 28.Ustad Haji Vilayat Ali Khan (1803 - 1873) 29.Ustad Nesar Hussain Khan (1824 - 1877) 30.Ustad Nanhe Khan (pariwale) (1847 - 1902) 31.Ustad AMsit Khan (1872 - 1974) 32.Ustad Karamatullah Khan (1917 - 1977) 33.Ustad Sabir Khan (1959) 34. Arif Khan (1986) Asif Khan (1990) Ameen Khan (1992) The Great Tabla maestro Ustad Sabir Khan saheb is The KHALIFA of This GHARANA.
This can't possibly be correct since the history of tabla does not extend that far in the past. However this may well be a correct "musical" rather than a "tabla" lineage in that the earliest names given were musicians of one sort or another. So it's not clear if anything should be deleted as opposed to reclassified.

Has anyone seen this lineage before in any text?

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
pbercker

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:

Those bols looked a bit familiar, and a little bit of research shows these are simply the first four mridangam bols that a student typically learns in his or her first lesson:
Whoever authored that wikipedia article seems to be confusing two radically different drums.

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
pbercker

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:

No one has yet corrected the wikipedia article. Hunting around, I think the source of the wiki article is this ...

http://ustadsabirkhan.com/about.html

... which is rather unfortunate.

Pascal

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.