INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
akasha

Reply with quote  #1 
Ok, well, im confused. I asked for advice on which were the best tabla sets to get in delhi, and i was told to go with Inni Singh from DMS. I emailed asking for a price list, and basically, ill be looking at US$100.00 for one of his best quality sets (very keen on the T11, the one with 4kg bayan with antique finish). Now, i find this site:

http://www.sitarsetc.com/tablamain.htm?from_david_courtney

And they have sets going for like over US$550. What is the deal with such a huge price difference?
zennman

Reply with quote  #2 
The shipping costs to the US are quite high, Akasha. And the dealers in the US also offer guarantee against defective goods, and excellent services post selling, that is not possible if shipped directly from India. If you include stocking and handling charges for the US seller, it all adds up to significantly higher costs compared to the Indian market price. (I also noticed the site you mentioned includes a fiberglass case for the tabla.. those are a bit expensive). I have heard many good things about Inni Singh, so you are making the best choice in buying the tablas from him directly in India.

Cheers !
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #3 
Different economies - different prices. A dealer buys an instrument at Indian price and then has to pay for rent for shop, electricity, phone, cel-phone, internet, web design services, helpers, liability insurance, fixtures, garbage removal services, banking fees, credit card processing fees, Fedex fees, general offices supplies, computers and regular upgrades, luthier services, advertising services, warehouse fees, and I could go on all day - I'm just getting started. Being a dealer doesn't mean that one just makes a phone call and all the instruments just magically appear in the hands of the customers. And after all the fees and other expenses - hopefully there is enough dough left over to pay the mortgage, feed the family and who knows. maybe buy a sitar or go to a movie. Seems a lot of folks out there expect that if a dealer pays $100.00 for something that they should be happy to turn around and re-sell it for $105.00. In the real world it doesn't work that way.
Peace,
K
coyootie

Reply with quote  #4 
for Mr Keshav Das. have mercy- how many times have i had to patiently explain why to some innocent person who has just told me "well that costs x in x country of origin and YOU sell it for x?"
sometimes i just tell that my magic dwarves in the basement who manufacture all my stuff just got unionized and are therefore more expensive.
Bobeddie

Reply with quote  #5 
hey akasha when are you going to india caus im pretty keen for getting the same as you.
sohummusicals

Reply with quote  #6 
To be serious, i would tell u tat it will cost 125$ USD + 125$USD(Shipment in any part of the world) for the best Quality tabla
4KG Copper Dagga, Sesum(Rosewood) tabla with Pitch Black4, Hammer Covers and bag + shipping.
In 250 USD u should be getting everything at ur doorsteps.
Tats the Cheapest i can sell outside india.

Upendra
Prabhakar

Reply with quote  #7 
Hey,
Sorry i did not see this post earlier.

you may have good tablas, but dont be an idiot to just promote yourself on the net like this.
check out the facts first and then display your emotions...

chiti chiti bang bang....

Prabhakar
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #8 
I put a post up here the other day in reply to Sohum which consisted of a light-weight mild critisism and it was deleted. It wasn't a big hairy flame by any means. I formally protest. This was a very panty-waste Pollyannaish bit of editorializing. I see all kinds very nasty repartee going on in various threads that are never deleted. This was I think very discriminatory and I think it was very unethical.
KC

Reply with quote  #9 
Akasha, I'm looking for a good set also.
Since you are going to New Delhi I would also try Raj Musicals. My teacher said he's been buying from him for a while and is happy with quality. I'm however having some serious difficulty getting in touch with Sanjeev from Raj Musicals either via email or via phone, they claim that they never receive my emails. (http://www.rajmusicals.com)
Inni Singh of DMS, however replies the same or next day which is great, so I'm leaning towards purchasing a set from him.
Best regards, and good luck.
KC.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.