INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Keshavdas

Reply with quote  #1 
Check out the YouTube excerpt from Alludin Khan tribute.

At the 2:20 mark there is an instrument sitting on the floor - between
Khansahib and a violin. It looks a cross between a sarinda
and a I-don't-know-what. It appears to have guitar style
tuners. I saw one of these in a glass case in a grimey little
museum in Udaipur years ago but you could not read the little
description card as it was so yellow with age as to be illegible.
Somewhere in the video too - is a very unusual looking pakawaj.

The Prophet Mohammed

http://www.keshav-music.com
Tomek

Reply with quote  #2 
My first guess would be that it's one of Baba's mutant creation that members of the Maihar band would play.

Tomek (no cheese)
Bruce

Reply with quote  #3 
Indeed it its one of Baba Allaudin's creations. It's called a Chandrasarang. Kind of like a bowed sarode, since it has a metal fretboard like a sarode. We have a nice one in the store here, made by by Hemen. I'll get some pix up sometime soon.
povster

Reply with quote  #4 
Well, it is a "parent mode" within which various raga can be classified. There are ten of them:

Thaat Asavari, Thaat Bhairava, Thaat Bhairavi, Thaat Bilaval, Thaat Kafi, Thaat Kalyan, Thaat Khammaj, Thaat Marava, Thaat Pooravi, Thaat Todi.

(Sorry Keshav - the question was answered and it was just sitting there begging...)

cwroyds

Reply with quote  #5 
There are a few odd instruments in that video.
In the scene with the Maihar band there is a guy playing what looks like a cross between a sitar and a sarod.
It has the neck and frets of a sitar but a body more like a sarod and his right hand is using a pick like a sarod.
Also in the same shot as your "Chandrasarang" there is another interesting instrument two instruments to the right of the one you mention.
It looks like a Sursringar but has a Bow next to it. Maybe the bow is not meant for that instrument.
I would love to see his entire collection of instruments.

What happened to Allauddin Khan's collection when he passed away?
Are they in a museum somewhere?
Can one visit his house in Maihar?
Bruce

Reply with quote  #6 
The instrument next to the sursringar is a dhrupad rebab (not to be confused with the Afghani rebab) It is played like the sursringar - the bow must be to the violin. Yes, there are many hybrid instruments played in the Mailhar Band. The sarode/sitar combo is one. (don't know the name) There is also the nul-tarang - a tarang made from gun barrels - visible briefly in the video. Quite a sound if you hear it live.
As far as I know Allaudin Khan's instruments are still in his house. I don't know how one goes about visiting that house these days - I have only been there with Khansahib. The current incarnation of the Maihar Band still practices regularly, and they welcome visitors.

Keshavdas

Reply with quote  #7 
Hi Bruce - thanks for clearing that up. I didn't realize the band were still playing. I expect to be in India this Fall and would love to have a chance to go hear them. Where precisely can they be heard?
Thanks,
Keshav

The Prophet Mohammed

http://www.keshav-music.com
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.