INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #1 
HELLO & WELCOME BACK OL' FRIEND D

Sorry I've been remiss on welcoming you back, but I have been following your return with great interest. You always had so much good stuff to pass on. BTW loved your clip.

NOW to topic...

ICM....
Of course Ravi Shankar (my 1st love ... You never forget your 1st :wink: ).
Vilayat Khan is a given....Abdul Halim Jaffir Khan is a particular favorite, Nikhilbhai is a true joy.
Rais Khan is always a treat..wonderful artistry and a dear friend of my mentor & guru Patric Marks since they were young.
Of course I spend much time listening to the few recordings I have of Patric who I miss so much.
The younger generation..
I listen to my friend Gaurav Mazumdar on a regular basis. I love sitting with him & just watching his hands... Like birds on wing.
I have developed a real liking for Indrajit Banerjee ..quite a player.
Then we could talk of the myriad artists who play sacred music that I listen to in temple.
Carnatic
I just have an extreme love for the Lalghudi family.
I only met & worked with Lalghudi Jayaraman one time with both Krishnan, & Vijaylakshmi on stage doing a family jugalbandi but that was enough to get me hooked.
I have worked with Krishnan & Vijaylakshmi separately a number of times since when they have been on tour, and it's always just so moving.
I listen to their recordings when in a very deep & contemplative mood.
Jayanti Kumaresh is a favorite on Saraswati veena.
Asad Ali khan on rudra veena as well as VM Dagar and our own Beenkar, when I need a really deep meditative respit.
Ronu Mazumdar master of bansuri.
That pretty well covers my preferred list for ICM.

Western Classical
Now... Mozart and more Mozart ... Franz Lizst, Rachmaninov, Beethoven...Ode to Joy, arguably the single greatest classical piece.
VIVALDI especially the guitar concertos and the Four Seasons.
I have listened to the finale trio from Gounods Faust probably a thousand times .... My favorite and most thrilling vocal music.
And probably the most beautiful and touching classical music for me is Debussy.

Jazz..swing....big band
Benny Goodman... Esp. WITH Lionel Hampton got to see them 3 times live.. I have orig 78' - lp's - & digital of theirs & just love them ...Glenn Miller smooth, Gene Krupa what a beat, Charlie Parker, Coleman Hawkins, Chic Corea & Return to Forever, John Maclaughlin. Frank can't forget the chairman. Nat King Cole ..pure velvet.

Blues.
BB King, Albert King, Pine Top Perkins, SRV, Clapton, Paul Butterfield blues band, John Mayall & the blues breakers, Canned Heat... wonderful band.... pretty broad this area so I'll stop there.. My regular list.

Now let's go here.
Rock & Folk
Beatles..Beatles..oh did I mention the Beatles. Stuck there since February 1964....
John...George...Paul....Ringo... Together..separately..it's all good.
Pink Floyd from day one. :wink: that band is just...well it's just that band...
CSN (seeing them next week Ravinia ) and then let's add Y.
Arlo..Dylan...Richie Havens ... Pete Seeger.... All part of my conscience.
Janis is my soul..Jimi who else..Queen..Freddie is probably the greatest rock showman and has the greatest rock vocal range ever, Yes, ELP, Santana, THE DEAD 8) (duuuuude), Stones, Bowie, the Temps.. The Kinks... Rush..Doors....and Jah Mon Bob Marley when I need da mello mood. Joe Cocker talk about soulful power...
Country.... Welllll I guess there's just Willie.
Leon Russell ... A Song for You is OUR song.
Could name a hundred more but these are the topper most of the popper most in my listening rotation.

NO DISCO!!! :twisted: that was my Jazz ,,, blues era.

Post 60' 70' era just cuz my wife ( the Saint) says I'm stuck in time.
I listen to the Chili Peppers, Jack White (a modern master), Van Halen just cuz they're fun talented & really good headbangers, Cheap Trick, Nirvana, Iron Maiden.

rappers wellll ... Eminem (so much to say - so intense), Snoop (mostly Lion but Dog be da shiznitz too)......Uhhhh I kinda end rap .mix etcetc there EXCEPT DJ Dangermouse' Grey Album from a few years back (hard to find) an unauthorized hot mix of jay z' black album & the Beatles White Album :? ....not in regular rotation but one of the best of the genre.

NEW POP need I say more :mrgreen:

WELL D YOU ASKED what I listen to

Basically there is a soundtrack of all these & many many more running whether on the radio, cd, iPad, or just in my head every moment of every day.... Music is always and has been the accompaniment of my consciousness since Mom started me off on Elvis, Buddy, Shirells, Satins ...etcetera as far back as I can remember...

Without music life for me just has no spice.. No flavor... NO Soul...

OH WAIT I FORGOT SOUL! !!! :roll:

Your Friendly Merry Prankster
Hamletsghost 8)

Reply with quote  #2 
Other than idle curiosity, I can't imagine what a database of prefered music choices from us could provide. Anyway, I'm still awake so I'll bite.
ICM - The expected gang - Ravi Shankar, Vilayat Khan, Nikhil Banerjee, Rais Khan, Sultan Khan, Ram Narain, Z M Dagar, Asad Ali Khan, Ameer Khan, MS Subbulakshmi, Bismillah Khan. The more recent wave - Tarun Bhattacharya, Kartik Seshadri, Gaurav Mazumdar, Kushal Das, Shahid Parvez, Aruna Narain, Kaushiki Chakrabarty.

The rest - Yes, Curved Air, Gentle Giant, Buggles, Dave Brubeck, most stuff from the late 50's to 1992. Anything by bagpipe bands, Benedetti/Svoboda, 3rd. Force, Joyce Cooling, Basia, Everything But The Girl, Return to Forever, Doobie Bros, Steely Dan, CSN-Y, Beatles and many others.

Stuff I rarely if ever listen to - Shai: wife type: 1 each, rap, hip hop, country from the Hank Williams - George Jones era and any present day over produced, pro tooled, T&A plastered, firework illuminated crap that is currently poisoning the airwaves.

Reply with quote  #3 
ICM - everyone you would expect. I also enjoy listening to very early recordings, such as those from Imdad and Enayat Khan. I suppose my favorites are Nikhil Banerjee, Ravi Shankar, and Shahid Parvez.

Classical - Debussy, Morton Feldman, Harry Partch, Charles Ives, Buxtehude, Giles Binchois, Philip Glass

Popular - Beatles, Kraftwerk, Motown, Frank Zappa, Mike Patton, Michael Jackson, Mix Master Mike, Peter Tosh

Jazz - Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Jaco Pastorius, Weather Report, Bela Fleck, Chick Corea

Traditional/Folk - I love gamelan, didgeridoo, sacred Ethiopian begena music, Delta blues, traditional Japanese
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #4 
ICM...I'm learning Imdadkhani so my preference lies that way, UVK and UIK primarily by USP and some others. But jumping around gharanas is fun too, PRS of course and I've long been intrigued by (to continue the silly acronymization) UAHJK as well. Still not too heavily into the vocal gharanas, but I enjoy some...Kishori Amonkar seems very "accessible" to the Western ear, and Ust Ali Akbar Khansaheb, also a favorite. Instead of fixing on certain artists or gharanas, though, what mostly happens is I fixate on certain raags....usually incidental to what I am being taught my Ustad.

WCM...Mahler has had me in his grip for the last 6 months or so. Amazing stuff...his 9th is enduringly incredible to me, every time I listen to it. Generally lean towards that era...Bruckner, Ravel, Debussy, then into the 20th with Gershwin and Ferde Grofe (the latter being a favorite). Earlier baroque and proper "classical" generally leaves me pretty cold, but the Romantic and 20th C stuff is great.

Jazz/Pop...I was listening to a lot of fusion (Weather Report et al) for a while but I just like good old "proper jazz" and am working on developing amateurish chops on six-string (previously I've only been a jazz bassist). Could post a lot of artists and links but my tastes pretty much cover most of the genre... For pop and rock, since a teenager in the 1990s I've considered my favorite bands to be Yes (this band has crashed and burned in recent years...not aging gracefully any more), Steely Dan, and the Beatles, although in some senses I've worn their albums out in my mind. Lately I've been enjoying funk (the inimitable Bootsy Collins presides as Lord High Mayor of Funkytown) and related genres, Stevie Wonder, anything by Niles Rodgers, and Motown, which makes sense as I am a bassist, after all. I've never had much appreciation for country...but there is something about Junior Brown that I love. The man is a one man country band, and his skill with the doublenecked "guit steel" is incredible. Oh, and old Hawaiian music...Alfred "Aloha" Apaka and Sol Ho'opii, preferably accompanied with a ridiculous tiki themed adult beverage... I suppose I should touch briefly on actual modern music, and I did like Radiohead back in the 90s, but they've been mostly insufferable and smug these days, and perhaps they were then, as well, but when you're a young college student, well, plenty of us were insufferably smug ourselves I suppose. As gimmicky as it is, Daft Punk's Random Access Memories is a pretty fantastic bit of music with what I at least take to be a touch of humor to it. These days I prefer a touch of absurdity or self deprecating humor in pop music, as otherwise it just seems so dour and self-important, but without the musical depth and richness of "serious music" like classical genres. Steely Dan was always good with that, as were the Beatles, particularly John. As for Yes, well....Jon Anderson is sort of a visiting cosmic space elf from another dimension, and wrote his lyrics as such, so they get a pass.
povster

Reply with quote  #5 
I''ll bite.

ICM: Mainly as much dhrupad vocal and rudra vin as I can find. Not much khayal anymore. When I do it is usually sitar (NB, VK, Arvind Parrekh, RS etc)

WCM: Keep returning to Mozart's Requiem

Japanese: A variety of Japanese traditional vocal, shakuhachi (especially GorĊ Yamaguchi), koto and shamisen

Blues like BB King, Son Seals, Otis Spann, Katie Webster

Jazz along the lines of Louis Armstrong, Sydney Bechet, Henry "Red" Allen, Bessie Smith

Very very little "pop". If I do it is mainly Queen and Jethro Tull.

Others would be Steeleye Span and Squirrel Nut Zippers

Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #6 
Surprised you are surprised with our honest responses.. You asked what we preferred & I honestly told you about what I find beautiful...moving.....exciting...Enjoyable.
I answered honestly.
Who cares if someone else doesn't enjoy what I do...maybe someone not exposed to a certain genre...artist...style might find something new in my post & broaden their horizons, & find a new love.

For me I say:
Thanks D ... From your statement I see You DO understand

I have NEVER understood the "turn in their grave" attitude. It just makes no sense to me at all. If they are truly great how could they have such a narrow vision and not open themselves to the beauty around them.
Would be like finding a sylvan glade & cutting it down because you don't like a certain kind if tree.
Would we enjoy our food without different spices or interpretations..
Would be like eating plain rice cakes every day..would get ya by but how bland that would be?
I have always openly & honestly ascribed to the principal that just as in art there is NO bad music, only what you prefer.
ALL MUSIC IS GOOD PERIOD.

This has sometimes been a balm (or bone of contention) in other discussions when the insults and denigration starts of whose ustad...pandit.....gharana ....preferred artist....is the best - fastest - most soulful - truest example of ICM.
OH how we hate dat fusion. :roll:
This has Always seemed a fruitless and in my VERY humble opinion self flaggelating pursuit.
Music as in art is the baring of an artists soul for the world to see...hear...enjoy...or not.

Easiest and as alway true:
Beauty is in the eye or ear of the beholder.

As my tag has ALWAYS said:
PEACE thru music.

8)

Believe me my wife & I have spent years discussing my love of Paul Gauguin & Jackson Pollack.... She just doesn't see it like I do.

Reply with quote  #7 
Hi all.
Just adding to some of the big names already mentioned, pointless to reiterate
Panjit Budhaditya mukherjee and ustad Irshad Khan.

Oh!! There's Yamla Jaat and Bob Marley too. Now we're Jamming.
CarbonSitars

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "povster"
ICM: Mainly as much dhrupad vocal and rudra vin as I can find. Not much khayal anymore. When I do it is usually sitar (NB, VK, Arvind Parrekh, RS etc)
I forgot to mention drupad. The older I get, the more I'm fascinated by works of extreme duration and less by fast and technical playing. I find sitting and listening to an entire drupad performance to be far more gratifying both spiritually and aesthetically.
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Hamletsghost"
OH how we hate dat fusion. :roll:
This has Always seemed a fruitless and in my VERY humble opinion self flaggelating pursuit.
I've never understood the dismissal of fusion. Most of the time it comes across as smug, elitist, and pretentious. :roll:

I'm enjoying seeing all the diversity in what people listen to. It's like we live in the 21st century or something...
mayer141

Reply with quote  #9 
Beethoven, Bach, Wagner (overtures only), William Walton, Ligeti, Reich, John Adams, Wah Wah Watson, Balaram Pathak, Debu Chowdhury, Ravel, Maroon 5, Uri Caine, Bros, Erasure, One Direction, Spice Girls, 5 Star, Justin Bieber and Tom Jones
povster

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "daryush"
i'm amazed at the honesty and frankness that folks have dared to put down genres that would make great ustads turn in their grave.
Daryush, something to keep in mind. Many of the members here began ICM a bit later in life. They already had acquired musical tastes and appreciation before their encounter with ICM. For example, I started studying ICM in 1973 when I was 22 years old. A couple of weeks prior to that I had never heard a raga, nor had I ever played any musical instrument. Before that I did a lot of listening to non-ICM as my list reflects.

I did go through a period of several years back then where all I wanted to listen to was ICM. But gradually my former musical tastes acquired in the years before ICM began to manifest. One thing I found was the ability to hear music in a different way, thanks to my exposure to ICM, and appreciate better what was going on.

Ramtin

Reply with quote  #11 
I listen to a lot of ICM, WCM, Rock and some Jazz and Blues too. My favorite ICM artists are Ustad Vilayat Khan, Pt. Nikhil Banerjee, Pt. Ravi Shankar, Mushtagh Ali Khan, Ali Akbar Khan, Amjad Ali Khan, Amir Khan, Bade Ghulam Ali Khan, Bismillah Khan, Hari Prasad Chaurasia, N. Krishnan, Rais Khan, Shahed Parviz, Shujaat Husain Khan, Ustad Sabri Khan, Chitti Babu and Kumar Gandharva among others.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.