INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
DonovanJaymz

Reply with quote  #1 
I am having a (gorgeous) oversized sitar made by Tony Karasek featuring an 11.75" upper tumba and 15" wide tabli. It will be ready sometime in August but I have yet to find a case for it. It was suggested that I try Radha Krishna Sharma & Co. but they refuse to answer my emails and no one on the other end of the phone can speak English.

Is there anyone else who can build a custom fiberglass case? I have the blueprints and measurements for it. I'd like to build a double tumba fiberglass case so I don't have to take it apart in pieces.

If there is no one else who can build a custom fiberglass case, then I'm open to alternative materials like wood. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.
Bakersbites786

Reply with quote  #2 
Try Shahid Ali of Miraj. I had my sitar delivered last week. He sent it in beautiful glittery silver finish fibre box. I'm sure he can meet your expectations. starshahidali5@gmail.com no harm in trying.
sason

Reply with quote  #3 
I called Ajay to his mobile phone so many times . It is hard for me to believe that you always get someone else.

Anyway, you can try 'Nirmal musical international' - http://www.nirmalmusical.com, nirmalmusi@rediffmail.com, mobile no.: 9831224534. He is from Kolkata. He makes good quality cases. They are very light. I believe he can make what you want. He is not cheap.

By the way, for the last few years, I was searching for the ultimate case. I tried many. The next time I'll buy one, I will not try to save money and get one from Rikhi Ram (Ajay). expensive and more heavy, but strong and solid. This is my current conclusion on this matter.
DonovanJaymz

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Sason,

Are you saying that Rikhi Ram makes better cases than Nirmal musical? I just looked at Nirmal Musical's International website and the pictures look fairly impressive. I'm not so concerned about the cost - I'm looking for quality. I trust your experience in this matter. Thanks.
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #5 
These Nirmal cases look good based on the website pics. I'm not keen on the wheels though. They WILL come off. They have no suspension at all and will vibrate the instrument big time. Maybe through the slick floors of an airport you could get away with rolling the case. Most likely the hardware is applied with aluminum pop rivets without any flashing sheets. The latches are the cast brass type which will only stay closed with slip rings or similar. RR cases in years past had screws for the hinges that were long enough to go right into the gourd of the instrument. I certainly hope that situation has been taken care of. Lots to look for with case shopping. The fiberglass bodies look good here. The raised bit for the top two main pegs is nice to see. Don't know about the weight or stiffness.

Reply with quote  #6 
You're right Tony. I'd order the case without the wheels and flimsy shoulder strap too. I'd probably want to upgrade the handle and hinges and latches as well to be on the safe side.
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #7 
I rerigged Gaurav Mazumdars case 3 years back. Sheet metal flashing strips to back up the latches and mounting screws (upgraded to aircraft type nylon sleeve lock nuts). The latches were replaced with the MIckey Mouse twist type like "Anvil" and other brands uses. Case is holding up just fine with the modifications. Not hard to convert, either.

Reply with quote  #8 
I have a box from Nirmal. He makes good quality, fancy and light cases (Really very nice one). I met him and he can make anything you want and according to your order. It weight almost 2 KG less than the others I had/have.

I just feel that it is less strong than Rikhi Ram's, but as far as I know Rikhi Ram has only one standard shape and size. so it is not for you.
yussef ali k

Reply with quote  #9 
Hi, all.
DJ,

Ignore this if you like, anyway just felt like telling you something about the 2-gourd sitar cases I've seen:

- They're much bigger & bulkier;
- They invite you to place the sitar inside w/ the tumbi screwed in, which I think is not desirable (there should be more travelled people in this forum ...);
- There are drum-cases that may fit your tumbi, I figure.

Have fun.
DonovanJaymz

Reply with quote  #10 
The weight and bulk doesn't bother me; the heavier and bulkier the better as far as I'm concerned. I considered getting a standard case and a drum case for the upper tumba but I don't want separate mismatched pieces to lug around either.
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #11 
Have to agree regarding the bulk issue! The double gourd cases are very bulky. I'd be scared to death the upper gourd would get yanked / smashed while traveling unless the rest of the instrument was absolutely rock solid secure inside that case. Custom padding would be mandatory for any kind of traveling. Weight definately an issue. Airlines would take full advantage of that and nail you in even deeper. Banging knees, walls, etc. is increased with the extra bulk. Open car doors seem to always have their way with these cases. The plus side is that it's reeeely nice to have the instrument all together as one unit. If your travels only involve driving to a gigue and back, the double gourd model should work fine. Wear knee pads !
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.