INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
barend

Reply with quote  #1 
Which pentatonic raga is this? either north or south Indian:

Sa-Ga-Ma-Pa-komal Ni (descending is the same)
arnabsarod

Reply with quote  #2 
I don't know this raga at all.

Dhanashree of Kafi thaat has the tone material S g M P n.

Bheem of Khamaj thaat goes S G M P n S', S' D P G M G S (Many people these says add the shuddha Re to the descending phrases of Bheem, where traditionally it exists only in kaN, or trace form, and call it Gavati or Rajni Kalyan. The name Rajni Kalyan is a total misnomer as it has no trace of Kalyan in it.)

Then there's Bhimpalasi which adds both D and R to descending phrases of Dhanashree.

On the following website, http://carnatic.com/carnatic/ragalist.htm, I find this listing: S G3 M1 P N3 S | S N3 P M1 G3 S and they call it Chalanat. However, the variant of Jog performed by the Dagar elders on the concert stage as Chalanat is remarkably different. The Carnatic N3 is not our komal Ni, but rather shuddh Ni.

That site lists nothing with S G3 M1 P N2 S'.

In HCM, there's Tilang, with the signature phrase S G M P N S', (P)n P, G M G. But it deploys both nishaads, and in some thumris, the komal gandhar as a vivaadi swar.

These are the nearest entities I could think of. Hey it was great to meet you in Roermond. I'll write to you soon.

Cheers,

Arnab
arnabsarod

Reply with quote  #3 
Asked around.

Apparently it is the Carnatic raga Savitri derived from the Melakarta Raga Harikambhoji.

a
barend

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Arnab,

Great to hear from you again. Very Nice concert in Roermond! And very nice to meet you.

I already suspected it would be some Carnatic raag. In western music it is known as the Mixolydian pentatonic scale. I am experimenting with this scale and working on a composition on guitar right now using this scale and it has some 'south Indian flavour' to it. Just thought it would be nice to know which raag it is to give me some more ideas of note combinations. See if I can find some recordings of that raag.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.