Indian Music Forums
Register Calendar Latest Topics Chat

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
cabernethy

Reply with quote  #16 
Interesting exploration of human vulnerabilities....

Personally, I have always found that those with the most knowledge are the also the most humble.

Carl (Real name )
Kirya

Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Personally, I have always found that those with the most knowledge are the also the most humble.
Yes it is interesting to see how Mr Mahadev (and some others) choose to assume supercilious tones in so many postings to "ignorant" and innocent questions. Based on what? Self-acclaimed "knowledge" ? Tenure?

Quite in contrast to Nikil-da who I had some limited interaction with, who never felt the need to show you how much more he knew even though HE ACTUALLY DID. When he picked up the sitar and played he just silenced everybody in the room with the power of his sound even when it was just a few notes. However, he would not relent on his core message about how much more we all needed to practice, because finally, it is all about the sound you make, rather than all the gear/instruments you have and all the words you know.

Another example of real knowledge is clear in this amazing class by Alam Khan which again shows the attitude of people who really do have knowledge and are willing to share it without making people feel stupid or ignorant. He gets tons of questions about all kinds of crap but he never loses his focus on the music if you watch the 2 hour lesson. And you will probably come away with some real knowledge about how to approach the Raag Sindhu Bharaivi
Quote:
Watch Alam Khan's Online Workshop

On July 27th, Alam presented a free online workshop to interested people around the world. Sixty participants attended internationally; it was presented at 8 AM PST in order to accommodate all time zones. Alam began the workshop with basic exercises and then moved up to a composition. The participants played varied instruments of both Western and Indian backgrounds, and there was a simultaneous chat going on between the musicians about various tunings and ways of adapting the music to their instrument.

It was a very energetic, fun and successful event and we would love to share it with all of you. Alam hopes to repeat this, so please stay tuned!

WATCH THE WORKSHOP http://www.instantpresenter.com/WebConference/RecordingDefault.aspx?c_psrid=EA56D880844D

SarangiLal

Reply with quote  #18 
Unfortunately, the most seasoned learners were probably the most outspoken. I'm sorry to say that this forum is pretty much dead now. The most interesting posters have either been banned or are long gone...RIP
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.