INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
LudwigplaysLudwig

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello forum members,

are there any rules when to play the bol "Ta" on kinar or on sur?

I have a DVD with Pandit Shankar Ghosh. In the four tukras on the DVD he plays all
"dha" and "ta" on the sur...

Max
Tabla11

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi:
It all depends on where your index finger is and what speed you are playing at. Mixing of Purbi and Dilli strokes is an acceptable way to interprete Ta and so Ta is played in that physical context of the position and the ease of playing.
Hope this helps.
evening84

Reply with quote  #3 
It is highly context specific although in the absence of any specific direction, play what feels right. One is sharper, the other is more resonant. In some compositions, it may be played on sur in medium speed and kinar in high speed. In others, it may be the opposite. In the same composition ending in tihaii, for example, one may choose to play the concluding Dha's on kinar for the first two iterations and on sur on the last one for that extra oomph. Even for the same composition, one player may prefer to play it on the kinar and another may prefer to play it on sur. Gharana preferences may also play a part (Lucknow/Poorab compositions, for example, tend to prefer more sur)

Reading it over, I am not sure I can make my response any more wishy-washy than it already is but such is the world of Tabla; it seems to relish the ambiguities.

david

Administrator
Reply with quote  #4 
As a general rule you can use anyone you want. There are just a few cases where you should give preference to one or the other.

Parans and pakhawaj derived material should be played on the sur (purbi style).

Most kaidas should be played on the kinnar (Dilli style). This is in deference to Nathu Khan who was the Dilli gharana musician who popularised this style. Bants and Gat kaidas are notable exceptions.

Kathak pieces generally require the raw volume of the sur techniques, but it is actually lift to you.

Peace

David Courtney
LudwigplaysLudwig

Reply with quote  #5 
Hello David, evening84 and Tabla11,

thanks a lot for your replies. Now I understand much better!

Cheers,
Max
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.