INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
theactor10

Reply with quote  #1 
Wish there was a way to make this a poll, but can't find the option.

Basically just want to see what style YOU play, and why you made that decision? Ravi Shankar style aka Kharaj Pancham, or Vilayat Khan style aka Gandhar Pancham? or perhaps you have a different style? Lets hear it.

thanks!
mayer141

Reply with quote  #2 
My Gharana is steeped in history and purity.
It began over 500 years ago when the first farmers settled in my village, bring with them their music.
Over the centuries the Gharana has flourished and now incorporates over 1 musician.
The name of the Gharana is Manorama Bhavan.....or Manor House (situated in North London, between The Arsenal and Spurs football clubs)

I play a Kharaj sitar, learnt from Senia/Etawah and Bhaj teachers but I don't follow any particular Gharana....never was a 'club' sort of person really :wink:
fossesitar

Reply with quote  #3 
GP for me but I use a very "open" jawari which I prefer at least on the electric so I guess you could say I am using elements from both. Although others may disagree I feel there is a world of difference between KP and GP and that this is one of the glories of the sitar, that it can be reconfigured into a very different instrument with very different capabilities. For me I love the "kush" of the fully configured drone set on GP (although I do not use a "GA" but 2 "PA" instead), and I much prefer not having to clip strings when playing rythymic passages. I feel you lose a lot of the "kush" and fullness of sound on the instrument when clipping the kharaj strings.

When I want to play alap with deep bass tones and tons of sustain I prefer surbahar, OR having two sitars (one GP, one KP) - although ideally the scale length (and therefore the pitch of the instrument) is different between KP and GP. FOSSE
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #4 
I have a nice family of sitars here - a KP, a VK, a Nightclubber and a hidden away 8 stringer. My hacking and clawing on them conjurs up the very worst of every gharana since the dawn of time ! ! ! One nifty trick with the clipped strings is the RS method of clipping the 3rd. string on fret 15 and the kharaj on fret 13. With a little fine tuning on these clipped strings, a nice chord effect is achieved which is quite useful. Refer to RS "Pancham Se Gara" on the Monteray album. I do like the string spacing of the VK instruments and the added range of the RS instruments. The extra fret models I'll never get used to. The more serious students of this music should chime in shortly with their sales pitch. Hopefully this doesn't become another gharana wars episode. It's all good ! ! !

Reply with quote  #5 
Gandhar Pancham on sitar, kharaj pancham on surbahar. Best of both worlds, for me. I started out KP but moved to GP after starting with my teacher (very definitely of the GP persuasion although he was quite willing to teach me on the instrument still strung KP style). Once I switched to GP style I haven't missed the kharaj strings much, the instrument sounds cleaner and more alive to me, and the chikaris are very expressive (they can easily be raked at various levels, bringing up a swelling of sound like some kind of built in tanpura).

I'm quite happy there is so much variance in playing style, because if it was all UVK all the time, or all Nikhil Banerjee all the time, etc., we'd miss out on a lot of beautiful music. So hats off to my KP wielding amigos...just for me, I found the "voice" I'm most comfortable with in gandhar pancham / gayaki ang style.

Jon, you should call yours the Mayer-har gharana! Specializing in teriyaki ang! ops: OK, off to serve my time for bad puns in ze cooler...
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #6 
Puns like that will get you sent to the Russian Front ! ! !

Reply with quote  #7 
I'm leaning GP and my teacher is a disciple of both Ustads Vilayat Khan and Rais Khan, though he identifies with the Mewati gharana specifically. The Mewati-ang gamak taans and approach to improvisation generally have floored me a bit, hence my absence from this forum for a while! I had one of those 'what the hell am I doing' moments and didn't touch my sitar for about a month. It was the realisation that - on the advice of my teacher - I should 'just play', even if its not strict riyaz, that got me playing again. Worked a treat. I think the most important thing, whether you adhere strictly to one gharana or not, is that you enjoy it!
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #8 
Bit obvious who I favour as regards my posts extolling the virtues of GP & Etawah Gharana. My Varanasi teacher's guru is Ustad Shahid Parvez & his teaching has improved my playing enormously.
Maybe we should put a little of ourselves up somewhere???? Although if one looks carefully on Youtube there are some recent(ish) ie 2 years ago, of me playing in Munna House, Varanasi, India.

Nick
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.