INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Abi

Reply with quote  #1 
I'm making some tabla cushions for a friend to replace the ones that came with his set.

I'm struggling to find any information on what size the finished cushions should be. I can obviously measure the ones the drums came with but these are woefully inadequate. I know I need to make them fatter but some guidance of what the internal circumference should be, in comparison to the size of the drum, would be very helpful.
taaliyan

Reply with quote  #2 
look up this video / article by David
https://forum.chandrakantha.com/post/how-to-make-tabla-rings-8673783?highlight=tabla+ring&pid=1297009012
Abi

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:

I've seen the video, I found it really helpful but it gives no guide on size.

The cushions that came with the drums are so awful that I can't use them as a guide, and he's a new player so isn't confident in guiding me. I'm working on the decorative band first, which I'm hand stitching, so I've got some time to work it out.

It's the internal diameter and height that seem to be key. I'm guessing the Bayan needs elevating by at least an inch off the ground. The Dayan is slightly trickier because it's played at more of an angle. I'm guessing that if the internal diameter is the same size as the drum base it would probably work, but I'm not sure.

I'm planning on constructing them slightly differently to David's I want to use a tube of fabric rather than wrapping something around a skeleton. That will make inserting the skeleton slightly trickier, but I've come across the suggestion of a cut kids bike tyre which I'm pretty certain will work.

This might give you an idea of what I'm up to.
Abi

Reply with quote  #4 
Hopefully the photo will show this time

Attached Images
jpeg photo-2645588255563835430.jpg (4.91 MB, 8 views)

assingh

Reply with quote  #5 
Here is one more video

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.