INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
barend

Reply with quote  #1 
For all sitar nerds [smile]: any ideas on the maker of this sitar? Can't get the photo's any clearer.
Also notice the added peg for the 8th string and the fine tuner at the nut!

Schermafbeelding 2020-04-08 om 11.35.36.png 

Schermafbeelding 2020-04-08 om 11.38.23.png

barend

Reply with quote  #2 
No one knows?

It's the sitar in this video. Notice the very closed sound of the Pathak style. It's an interesting video because it's a sort of non-typical folky tune I think. I am not familiar with this tune though but it sounds different and more basic than the usual dhun.
Anyway, what is this sitar?

mpnikhil

Reply with quote  #3 
This is a famous bangla song by Gurudev Rabindranath Tagore, should be instantly recognizable in India. It is of special significance to the Indian independence movement. Thank you for this! Divine rendition by Pt. Ashok Pathak. I could listen to it for hours, in fact I have been since you posted it. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ekla_Chalo_Re If no one listens to your call, go it alone. Perhaps an homage to his gharana, going it alone separate from the other better known ones.
Is there another bridge under the nut? What is its function? The maker badge is illegible. I tried to make it out on a big screen. 
barend

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpnikhil
This is a famous bangla song by Gurudev Rabindranath Tagore, should be instantly recognizable in India. It is of special significance to the Indian independence movement. Thank you for this! Divine rendition by Pt. Ashok Pathak. I could listen to it for hours, in fact I have been since you posted it. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ekla_Chalo_Re If no one listens to your call, go it alone. Perhaps an homage to his gharana, going it alone separate from the other better known ones.
Is there another bridge under the nut? What is its function? The maker badge is illegible. I tried to make it out on a big screen. 

That extra bridge is for better intonation of the bass strings. Still wonder what sitar it is. No one any idea?
Lars

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by barend

That extra bridge is for better intonation of the bass strings. Still wonder what sitar it is. No one any idea?

And yet the problem has always been the notes on the bass strings were too sharp when fretted, so the solution is to shorten the distance making them even more sharp. Makes you wonder.....

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars

And yet the problem has always been the notes on the bass strings were too sharp when fretted, so the solution is to shorten the distance making them even more sharp. Makes you wonder.....

I am not sure if all the strings run over that bridge. Maybe he wanted the whole scale length to be shorter? Not sure if that can be achieved with adding that kind of bridge?

Any idea on the maker Lars? At first I thought Hari Chand, but the name tag looks a bit different I think.
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #7 
Might be Kartar Chand. 
The label is very hard to see clearly, but seems to be similar to Kartar Chand. 

Unknown.jpeg 

dhawal

Reply with quote  #8 
The sitar looks far too new, decorative and big in size to be an old Kartar Chand I think. I've seen a couple of old sitars by Kartar Chand and they're not quite as decorative and their dand was also a less wide.
Re upper bridge, all main strings except 3 chikaris are going over it, so possibly he is using it to be able to tune his sitar to a higher scale? Or maybe it helps with hitting the harmonics that his father is quite famous for?

Not sure if the below pics are slightly clearer and anymore readable? 
Ashok Pathak 1.png  
Ashok Pathak 2.png  
barend

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawal
The sitar looks far too new, decorative and big in size to be an old Kartar Chand I think. I've seen a couple of old sitars by Kartar Chand and they're not quite as decorative and their dand was also a less wide.
Re upper bridge, all main strings except 3 chikaris are going over it, so possibly he is using it to be able to tune his sitar to a higher scale? Or maybe it helps with hitting the harmonics that his father is quite famous for?;

I have a Hari Chand sitar which has similar decorations as the Ashok Pathak one. I think the older ones are Kartar Chand and they have different decorations. Not sure which year it changed from Hari to Kartar?

Looking at the logo it can be a Hari or Kartar Chand. I know he used it in the past but not sure about his more recent sitars. So for now that’s the best bet, but still not 100% sure.

As for the extra bridge. Yes, as I said it might be because he wants a shorter scale for higher tuning in D. Has nothing to do with the harmonics since they can be done on any sitar.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.