INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
anandvyasorg

Reply with quote  #16 
Jaan ~ That is actually a very nice repertoire. Do not sell yourself short ~ many great musicians play a handful of Ragas. And yes you teacher and you are absolutely correct about the "one Raga" = All Ragas
anandvyasorg

Reply with quote  #17 
Nick-Ji poses a profound question. I guess one answer is we never truly "learn" a Raga fully no matter how many lifetimes. The second answer ~ if we practice and it becomes an "actual" part of our being through "tapashiya" then the Raga itself will play itself. The Raga is larger than the individual and has a life of its own... When we hear our favorite Masters we are hearing a Profound communication between the Divine Raga and the Divine Soul ~ they merge into the One
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #18 
Brothers Pov & Anand bhai
Yes.
Learning Raga is about learning a personality. The ancients knew this which is why we have the Beautiful Ragamala miniatures.

Each raag is like a different human being who, as we get to know them better, we are better able to 'describe' them to, say, an audience.

Performing is Describing!!!!

Nick
sitarkatz

Reply with quote  #19 
I am currently learning Rag Bhupali. Anyone else have this rag in their repertoire?

Any advice or tips learning this rag?

Thanks as always!
anandvyasorg

Reply with quote  #20 
Nick-ji ~ beautiful. Performing is describing ~ painting a picture of the "mind's eye" ~ lovely brother. Simply lovely.
anandvyasorg

Reply with quote  #21 
Yes I use Bhupali in Raga Mand. I am uploading a lesson in Bhupali this week and well as a lesson from Jhalla Sahib in Mand that was given to me using Bhpali "angs. Pa Dha (bend Dha to Sa) Sa Sa Sa SA ~ Sa Sa ~ Ga Ga ~ Dha (bend) Sa Pa Pa. TRy this gat ~ (bend from Re) ReGaGaRe ~SaSa~Dha* (lower octave Dha)~ (lower Octave) PaDhaSaGa ~(1st beat)Ga,Ga,Ga ~ Re RE Ga (to middle octave now) ~ Pa PA (meend) DhaPA, Ga, Re, Sa (repeat) ReGaGaRe~SaSa~(lower octave Dha) Dha* PaDhaSaGa , etc Also on the "lower octave" Dha you can play Dha(meend)Sa if the time is kept ~ where i put the Asterisks is where one can play Dha or DhaSa, as long as time is kept. Use the same structure in Mand but use Ni and Re ~ okay that is confusing I will post the video this week. I think that is why this is an oral tradition I will make a video for you brother

http://www.anandvyas.org
bibhas

Reply with quote  #22 
Kedar, Bheempalasi, Kirwani, Yaman, Durga, Brindavani Sarang, Desh, Khamaj, Pilu.

I too usually stick to one raga for about 4 months before playing another.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.