INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Gyurme

Reply with quote  #1 
could you tell me the name of the woodwind instrument the guy is playing at 8:48 into this clip of the concert for George Harrison? It has a surprisingly very deep sound for the size of the woodwind instrument. Thanks

naad_brahma

Reply with quote  #2 
It's a duduk, not from India but still a really neat instrument.
Gyurme

Reply with quote  #3 
that is very intersting, I wouldn't have thought of it being a duduk which is more of an Armenian instrument. I have heard this sound on recordings of Indian music for a long time, has the duduk been absorbed into ICM and would you know if it is the exact same duduk as played in Armenia or is it a variation adapted to ICM and have it's own name or slightly different reed?

I did a youtube search on duduk and it appears that you are right, the guy playing the duduk seems to be the same person playing a similiar looking instrument in the George Harrison concert clip.

trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #4 
Have had a word today with friend sending some stuff from India. He knows what these are & will, I hope, put 3 or 4 in one of my boxes to be sent.

Nick
naad_brahma

Reply with quote  #5 
The musician is Pedro Eustache, the instrument is Armenian Duduk. Buy one from a reputable maker in Armenia. These are easily available on ebay and so are the ghamish(reeds) which are vital to the tone instrument. I think Andy's Music in Chicago might have some good ones left, they did when I was there a couple months back. I've seen Pakistani made duduk that Mid-East Mfg. sells, absolute junk with non-functioning reeds.
babamithan

Reply with quote  #6 
Filmed in the spur of the moment, courtesy of mr. Felix van Lamsweerde, who hosted Ustad Hussain Sayeeduddin Dagar, myself and my 1963 tanpura in 2000. Mr. van Lamsweerde had these made in Miraj in 1963 as a jora of tanpura. He kept one, and sold the other to a musician, who at some point sold it to another musician as he went back to India, the second selling it to the third, in 1987, that being me. In between , the instrument was used often to accompany visting masters who performed in the Mozes and A

Reply with quote  #7 
hi- did you intend to include some photos or clips of the instruments you are referring to? thanks
Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #8 
HELLO FRIEND MATTHEW

I too love the sound of this instrument - lends itself to many recordings. I had an ensemble at our center a couple years back & the woodwind player pulled one of these out - sounded just as incredible live... I didn't ask the name of the instrument at the time - Just another woodwind in a huge arsenal that needed micing that night.
naad brahma's knowledge of instuments in general - woodwinds in particular - and the obscure to be exact is ENCYCLOPEDIC so if he says Armenian Duduk you can take it to the bank.
I've listend to this track (and the concert) dozens of times in all formats from iPad (youtube) with & without good buds to my system at home(pretty good) to our large JBL line array system. and the sound is stellar no matter what.
I will pay closer attention to The duduk from now on to pick up the nuances & differances between eurasian southern caucus woodwind instruments & true bansuri as employed by ICM artists.

This concert is one of my all time favorite live concert recordings.. Everyone put their heart & soul into honoring George who was probably one of the most beautiful & serene souls any of the artists had ever encountered.
I am enclosing a list of all the Indian artists appearing on this recording during that section of the concert.
My dear friend Gaurav Mazumdar was there on sitar & we have had many discussions on what it was like to be there that night.
The list is amazing..
enjoy:
•Arpan
•Composed by Ravi Shankar
•Conducted by Anoushka Shankar
•Performed by
•Anoushka Shankar (Sitar)
•Sukanya Shankar (Vocal-Shloka)
•M Balanchandar (Mridangam)
•Vishwa Mohan Bhatt (Slide Guitar)
•Tanmoy Bose (Tabla & Dholak)
•Chandrasekhar (Violin)
•Eric Clapton (Guitar)
•Pedro Eustache (Wind Instruments)
•Sunil Gupta (Flute)
•Anuradha Krishamurthi (Female Vocalist)
•Jane Lister (Harp)
•Gaurav Mazumdar (Sitar)
•Snehashish Mazumdar (Mandolin)
•Ramesh Mishra (Sarangi)
•Prasanna (Percussion)
•Kenji Ota (Tanpura)
•Barry Phillips (Cello)
•Rajendara Prasanna (Shahnai)
•Emil Richards (Marimba)
•Balu Raghuraman (Violin)
•Partho Sarathy (Sarod)
•O. S. Arun (Male Vocalist)
•Hari Sivanesan (Veena)
•Boys’ and Girls’ Choir
•Courtesy of Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan
•English Chamber Choir

Hamletsghost 8)

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.