INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
sitarkatz

Reply with quote  #1 
So...I have a couple of small scratches on the small tumba of my Hiren Roy sitar.

It is the traditional brown colour. What do they use to paint these with if indeed it is paint?

If so, does anyone sell this so I can repair the scratches?

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Cheers!
Lars

Reply with quote  #2 
Ok, no answers so here you go. There is no 'traditional' brown, there are a number of finish guys in Kolkata and each maker has their own preference. Barun's guy uses a polish that's heavily tinted with ground powders, every time they make a batch it will vary slightly although the goal is brown but can vary by shades. They use shellac with powder, that's it. It's one thing to mix a batch and do a whole sitar and quite another to color match scratches, if you want an exact match find someone and pay them to do it is my advice. It takes years to learn, I've been dabbling for 10 or so and still if I have to have a color match I'll send it out.

But my first advice is to leave the scratches just the way they are and play it! My own sitar is half beat up, it happens from being put away, in the case, setting it on top of your mizrab, etc. etc.

You could use some model paint and try to match it I suppose but the problem is the color when wet is not the same as when dry. If you're worried about the finish around the cracks peeling away then you could use some clear shellac to seal it up but do read up on the application technique or you run the risk of smearing the rest of the finish once the alcohol has softened it. It's just a matter of 1 or maybe 2 strokes too many and you have a mess. So lots to consider, there's a ton of info on the net about shellac, techniques, etc. and many ways to do things.....

My 2 cents worth.

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks Lars

They are very small scratches of no real importance, but I was just curious how to repair them.

I will chalk it up to wear and tear from playing.

Cheers!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.