INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
opchando

Reply with quote  #1 
http://cgi.ebay.com/SITAR-RAVI-SHANKAR-STYLE-TABLA-HARMONIUM-SAROD-TANPURA_W0QQitemZ120227653493QQihZ002QQcategoryZ623QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #2 
Im going to call bullshit on this sitar.
It is from the same shop that was selling bogus Hiren Roy fakes.
Plus that first shot of the carving is actually a shot of a Surbahar tabli.
You can tell by the hole just to the left of the carving.
It aint a picture of the tabli of the sitar they are selling.

Dont buy one of these.
I think this shop is a fraud.
Go to one of the better sellers.
If you are in the USA go to:
http://www.aacm.org
http://www.SitarsEtc.com
http://www.keshav-music.com
http://www.karaseksound.com

Any one of these stores can sell you a good quality sitar that you can be sure is playable and respectable.
Those stores in india trying to sell you a sitar on Ebay know that you are not gonna be able to complain about a shitty sitar when you get it unless you live in india.
Plus you usually get nailed on the shipping cost.

I do know that this shop had a "Hiren Roy" sitar for sale on ebay and it was certainly NOT a Hiren Roy. It was a total fraud with a comically stupid fake makers badge glued on the top of the head stock.
I wouldn't trust this shop further than I could throw it.

Just an opinion.
Dont do it.
Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #3 
RUUNNN AWAAAAAAAAYYYY :!:
All joking aside follow Carltons advise & go with a well known shop for new - But do keep an eye out for the RARE ebay deal - like the Naskar combo that went CHEEEAP a while ago.

Hamletsghost 8)

Reply with quote  #4 
Absolutely, Ebay can show up with some great bargains for sitar hunters.
I found my 1960s Naskar beauty sitar on ebay and got it for $300.
Miracles can happen.
Check out that Kanai Lal that is on ebay right now.
Don't be afraid of Ebay.
DO BE AFRAID OF THAT SELLER!!!!
opchando

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks fellas.... for the help... i was looking into the Su Gita tun full decoration...
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #6 
Hey, where are you looking at that model?
Hopefully the knowledgeable guys here can tell you about the quality of the Su Gita brand.
Tony? Lars? Keshav? any info on these sitars?
Got an alternate suggestion for him?
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #7 
Since you asked -

The first batch of 'SuGita' sitars were a batch of rejects from my shop from around 3 years ago. Can't remember exactly when. I just remember that the wood on half of them was nice and white (sapwood) and painted over to look like good stuff. One of the others had a carving style that I didn't order. Structurally it was ok. One in particular was just plain unsellable. Wood was swapped from what I selected and even had photos to back my claim. I screamed bloody murder of course but as usual, the response was the classic "what to do?". Things got better after that but unless I was there more often than I should have needed to be, the short cut quality came right back with the expected shrug and smile. This is why I got out of this version of production. Quality control could not be maintained. That first batch was picked up by a weasel (no relation to weaselji) named 'Kedar' who worked mainly as a call center parrot. He then sold off this batch. Some time later these sitars appeared as the 'SuGita' brand. I've got the pics of the lot before they left me. I have no idea how the later generations of 'SuGita' sitars are as I haven't seen any at the shop. RA Sitarmaker in Miraj makes them. Probably ok as the basic design is from the 30 + pages of detailed plans I gave them - bound even! Overall, I would say they ('SuGita') are ok; certainly better than a lot of the firewood out there.

I've just gone over Lars' new site. I recommend you do the same. This man has got the goods and everything isn't even on the website yet. Outstanding presentation of the preselected best stuff available. You would be taking a huge risk buying direct from India. My six years here will attest to that and back that claim to the hilt - further if necessary! Call or eMail Lars. He's been in this end of the sitar biz for a long looong time. He will get you set up right. Many forumites would agree with me, I'm sure. Happy shopping and enjoy what ever sitar you finally decide on. Cheers!

Reply with quote  #8 
http://www.sitar-tabla.com
:mrgreen: ops:
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #9 
Dude. Listen to Tony K.
He is the MAN about this kind of stuff.
opchando

Reply with quote  #10 
thanks fellas... i was in touch with lars but now a man named Govind son of Bharat was in contact with me about the su gita... i wondered why the name plate was so generic.. and no maker or address was labeled to the sitar... as if i was making a quality product i would take pride in it by putting my name on it.... so i really liked the color and the way the gourd showed through the shalack? i thought the sitar would sound really full and strong.... i want a full decorated sitar for the fact the strenght and solid construction from the transition from the neck and bottom gourd would idealy make the vibration and scintifically produce a more resonating sound?... i want to purchase my first sitar and i want it to be a good one that i can age with it....
element-82

Reply with quote  #11 
Hi opchando,
I would get lars to play a few of them over the phone and you will be better informed for it. If you want good sound, you have to "earn" it by practising on it hard for a year or so. The other thing is that it has to be setup properly with a decent jawari. The full decor does not add to the sound, in fact some would would argue that it takes away from the sound. (I don't think it dampens the sound much though.) Get something you like the look of and more importantly sounds "right" (TM). We have all been there, enjoy the ride!

Pb
Quote:
Originally Posted by "opchando"
thanks fellas... i was in touch with lars but now a man named Govind son of Bharat was in contact with me about the su gita... i wondered why the name plate was so generic.. and no maker or address was labeled to the sitar... as if i was making a quality product i would take pride in it by putting my name on it.... so i really liked the color and the way the gourd showed through the shalack? i thought the sitar would sound really full and strong.... i want a full decorated sitar for the fact the strenght and solid construction from the transition from the neck and bottom gourd would idealy make the vibration and scintifically produce a more resonating sound?... i want to purchase my first sitar and i want it to be a good one that i can age with it....

opchando

Reply with quote  #12 
what about this sitar on Tony K's web site "Gaurav Mazumdar Custom Sitar Number One? "
Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #13 
WOAH :!:
This is the prototype for the one Gaurav is currently touring with. I have personally seen, handled, heard & miked up the # 2 final edition in concert when Gaurav was in Chicago last year. It was an amazing instrument & sounded phenominal. It was made around the same time my custom TK was made see string: http://forums.chandrakantha.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3562
Also on Tony's custom page: http://www.karaseksound.com/ShowBigPic.CFM?ID=IMG0172 - From what Tony told me there were minor changes from this one to more closely match Gauravs specifications. Gaurav is very pleased with his axe & you can hear it on the Concert & Workshop string: http://forums.chandrakantha.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3443 . This was live from the Kennedy Center last year & should give a very close approximation of what this available axe should sound like.
Tony posted what you read on his site concerning this instument which is available & can elaborate I'm sure on the differences between the two. Personal opinion is hop on it. This is a well researched concert quality piece, custom made for a touring professional & available at a great price.
I cannot go on enough how thoroughly pleased I am with MY custom axe. It is everything I had hoped it would be and more. It sounds & plays great.
Remember also this will be one of the last available custom sitars made in India under the Karasek Sound Badge. Tony's plans for his American sitars made in his shop over here are in development & under wraps for now (suffice to say what I've seen so far is WOW! Shhhhh :wink: ) But he's in India right now in the final stages of getting his wife (she's a saint) outta India - but that's another LOOOONG story. :roll: So those plans are on hold til he hits the good ol' USA.
Hope this helps & good luck

Hamletsghost 8)

ps: I had actually thought of getting this one for myself but 1 - My wife would kill me & 2 - I have my eye on a vintage beauty - but thats also another story. B

Reply with quote  #14 
Tony K... my name is Omar and I have contacted you about your Gaurav Mazumdar number one prototype sitar.... please feel free to respond to may emails I have sent you....
cheers,
Omar
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Sitarfixer"
Since you asked -

The first batch of 'SuGita' sitars were a batch of rejects from my shop from around 3 years ago. Can't remember exactly when. I just remember that the wood on half of them was nice and white (sapwood) and painted over to look like good stuff. One of the others had a carving style that I didn't order. Structurally it was ok. One in particular was just plain unsellable. Wood was swapped from what I selected and even had photos to back my claim. I screamed bloody murder of course but as usual, the response was the classic "what to do?". Things got better after that but unless I was there more often than I should have needed to be, the short cut quality came right back with the expected shrug and smile. This is why I got out of this version of production. Quality control could not be maintained. That first batch was picked up by a weasel (no relation to weaselji) named 'Kedar' who worked mainly as a call center parrot. He then sold off this batch. Some time later these sitars appeared as the 'SuGita' brand. I've got the pics of the lot before they left me. I have no idea how the later generations of 'SuGita' sitars are as I haven't seen any at the shop. RA Sitarmaker in Miraj makes them. Probably ok as the basic design is from the 30 + pages of detailed plans I gave them - bound even! Overall, I would say they ('SuGita') are ok; certainly better than a lot of the firewood out there.

I've just gone over Lars' new site. I recommend you do the same. This man has got the goods and everything isn't even on the website yet. Outstanding presentation of the preselected best stuff available. You would be taking a huge risk buying direct from India. My six years here will attest to that and back that claim to the hilt - further if necessary! Call or eMail Lars. He's been in this end of the sitar biz for a long looong time. He will get you set up right. Many forumites would agree with me, I'm sure. Happy shopping and enjoy what ever sitar you finally decide on. Cheers!
Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #15 
Hey Omar - I spoke with Tony & Shai yesterday for about 40 min - He's in Poontown right now as I said getting Shai's visa finalized (a legal & logistical nightmare to be sure)- The pix he sends me of the Indian visa/passport/etc offices are incredible - block long lines at the Goverment offices lasting 5 & 6 hours sometimes all day only to get told come back tomorrow (I will never complain about US gov innefficiency again). This coupled with the fact that Pune has rolling blackouts at least one day a week - And comfuser crashes often make for a baaaaad time getting messages. :evil: If he does not respond right away don't think he's blowin you off - I will be calling them next weekend & will tell him to get ahold of you if he hasn't responded by then. Feel free to PM me & I will try & relay for you.

Brian 8)
HG

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.