Reply with quote  #1 
I WANT TO KNOW THE BOL OR THEKA OF VILAMBIT 16 BEATS TAAL TEENTAAL
Sitar&Violin

Reply with quote  #2 
Is IT? RIGHT OR WRONG

Dha Kida Dhin Kida Dhin Dhin Dha Kida

Dha Kida Dhin Kida Dhin Dhin Dha Kida

Dha Kida Tin Kida Tin Tin Ta Kida

Ta Kida Dhin Kida Dhin Dhin Dha Ge Tiri Kita (SOM)
rajpuranik

Reply with quote  #3 
Vilambit teen taal has no standard theka - the tabliya embellishes/improvises the theka to suit the nature of the piece being played. I don't see anything wrong with the theka you wrote, but you could also use Traka, TiTe, or a variety of other phrasing as fillers between beats. The main rule generally would be to maintain the notes of the standard theka on the beats (i.e., Dha Dhin Dhin Dha...), although i have even heard that rule bent.
Sitar&Violin

Reply with quote  #4 
Thank You
saipk

Reply with quote  #5 
Could you please tell me the difference between traka and tirekita? thanks!
TablaPlayer22

Reply with quote  #6 
traka and tirakita are two different strokes

you can see how to produce ti ra ki ta : http://chandrakantha.com/tablasite/bsicbols.htm

Traka----

my way of doing this.. my index finger comes down first...following the rest of my fingers.

so my index, then my middle, then my ring , and then my pinky.....they all come down kinda at the same time...in succession....

that is the TRA

and the KA. i play with the middle, ring and pinky.....ALL AT ONCE.

all these movement produce that one bol...play with the sounds until you can hear it. there are other ways to play this. but this is what suits my ear.
good luck
saipk

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks!
So, Traka is TRA + KA where TRA = index+middle+ring+pinky in quick succession in that order
KA - Standard ka on bayan

So, TRA is same as KRA but in reverse order. KRA for me is pinky+ring+middle+index in succession in that order.
Is it alright to play TRAKA as KRA+KA? thnx again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by "TablaPlayer22"
traka and tirakita are two different strokes

you can see how to produce ti ra ki ta : http://chandrakantha.com/tablasite/bsicbols.htm

Traka----

my way of doing this.. my index finger comes down first...following the rest of my fingers.

so my index, then my middle, then my ring , and then my pinky.....they all come down kinda at the same time...in succession....

that is the TRA

and the KA. i play with the middle, ring and pinky.....ALL AT ONCE.

all these movement produce that one bol...play with the sounds until you can hear it. there are other ways to play this. but this is what suits my ear.
good luck
Bhakta

Reply with quote  #8 
The way I learned how to play traka is starting with the ring finger on the right hand dropping onto the center of syahi followed by the middle, then index and lastly with the ring finger again. It doesn't take long to get the hang of it, it's just a matter of timing. Hope this helps
TablaPlayer22

Reply with quote  #9 
Hey Saipk,

I don't know what the bol-- KRA--- is and how to reproduce it, yet.

KA is not the usual KA, on the bayan,----- in Traka

the first part -- you re-told me-- is correct.

index, middle, ring and pinky comes down in successions to produce TRA

Then.....

middle,ring and pinky ALL come down at the SAME time. In one BEAT. to create the KA.

Traka is produced in the middle of the syhai---where you would play Ti-Ra in (TiRa Kita)

so you use only the right hand --- on the dayan to reproduce Traka.

I see the gentleman below me, has another method which is nice, this is the method that works best for me. Understand, you should HEAR the bol. You are speaking with your hands---quite literally.

Many best wishes to you.
TablaPlayer22

Reply with quote  #10 
Just as a note

The TRA---when playing it with index, middle, ring and pinky

the first finger to come down is the index, then comes the middle, after is the ring and last is the pinky.

Just so we're on the same page and there is no confusion

best wishes
rajpuranik

Reply with quote  #11 
To my knowledge, TraKa is just a short form of TiReKeTe, played as follows:

Tra: R, M, and I fingers on the shyahi quickly IN THAT ORDER. Imagine playing TiRe very fast so you essentially combine the two notes into one. You could even start with the R finger on the shyahi (only M and I fingers actually play)

Ka or Kda: a Ke on bayan followed immediately by Te (M,R, and P fingers) on middle of dayan. Basically the two notes are almost simultaneous, taking up a single timeslot instead of two.

I don't really see how Tra could be played in i,m,r order very effectively. On tabla, the hand is trained to have the ring finger on the surface while the index and middle fingers are playing most of the notes. Reversing this position seems awkward to me. E.g., playing Dha TraKa means the index finger is raised after Dha while the ring finger is on the surface. Then playing Tra would be much easier in the r,m,i order.

Betaji

Reply with quote  #12 
Here are some examples.

THEKA PRAKAR - VILAMBIT LAYA

Dha- - -                 Terekete         Dhin-                 Dha-
Dha- - -                 Dhage                 Dhin-                 Dha-
Dha- - kradhage         Tin-                 Tin-                 Ta-
Terekete                 Dhin-                 Dhin-                 Dha-

Dha- -trek                 dhin—trek         dhin-dhin-         dha---
Dha-ge-                 dhin—trek         dhinaghine         dha—trek
Dha-dha                 tin—ta                 tin---                 na---
Terekete                 dhin—dha         tetedhin-         -dhatete

Dha—kra                 dhin—kra         dhin---                 -dhati-
Dha—kra                 dhin—kra         dhin-dhin-         -dhati-
Dha-kradhati                 -dhagena         tin---                 -tati-
Ta---kra                 Dhina-dha         ti-dhati                 -dhati-

Dha—tete                 dhin—tete                 dhin-dhin-                 -dhatete
Dhadhaghena                 dhin—tete                 dhin—kradhin-         dhagetete
Dhagetete                 tin—na                         tin-tin-                         nanatete
Naghegheterekete         dhin--nagenanage         tereketedhin—na         genanageterekete
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.