INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
DesiHighway

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello guys,

Glad to be a part of this community. I am curious to know who are some of amazing Indie artists from the country that you listen to and literally undiscovered. 

TIA
BrianB

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Desi,

"Indie" or "Indian"? Just wanted to clarify since you might be asking either. : )

If you have any interest in Persian music and its microtonal maqām scales, there is a very talented and interesting young man from Texas named Fared Shafinury who is doing wonderful things on setar in a mix of traditional and non-traditional styles. His nuance is exquisite and his singing makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

I first heard him in an experimental "Persia meets India" show called the Setar-Sitar Project. He performed on setar with Indrajit Banerjee on sitar and found the commonalities in the very different styles and blended the two. It was amazing. Lately he has been applying the traditional styles and maqām to his own creations inspired by great Persian poetry (Rumi and Hafez and the like), and doing other setar/maqām things tinged with his Texas perspective. Really quite good if you might like such a thing.
BrianB

Reply with quote  #3 
But most likely you meant "Indian". [tongue]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.