INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #1 
This AB beauty arrived this morning - UNdamaged!!!

The deliverers - Parcelforce - still hadn't registered it as actually being IN the UK before it 'knocked' on my grateful door today.
Just altered the strings to suit my style & tuned it up. Adjusted the frets a little.
What a gorgeous shade of burgundy? isn't it? Natural finished toomba rather than covered over or painted, so you can still see the gourd's 'skin' ?!!?
LIGHTER than a feather too!!!!

So watcha all think then?

Attached Images
jpeg NEW ARRIVAL 22 10 19 (1).jpg (374.95 KB, 16 views)
jpeg NEW ARRIVAL 22 10 19 (2).jpg (390.94 KB, 19 views)
jpeg NEW ARRIVAL 22 10 19 (3).jpg (414.38 KB, 20 views)
jpeg NEW ARRIVAL 22 10 19 (4).jpg (418.86 KB, 19 views)
jpeg NEW ARRIVAL 22 10 19 (5).jpg (441.36 KB, 21 views)
jpeg NEW ARRIVAL 22 10 19 (6).jpg (485.63 KB, 24 views)
jpeg NEW ARRIVAL 22 10 19 (7).jpg (411.92 KB, 26 views)
jpeg NEW ARRIVAL 22 10 19 (8).jpg (364.06 KB, 24 views)
jpeg NEW ARRIVAL 22 10 19 (9).jpg (127.30 KB, 23 views)
jpeg NEW ARRIVAL 22 10 19 (10).jpg (151.51 KB, 21 views)
jpeg NEW ARRIVAL 22 10 19 (11).jpg (128.65 KB, 17 views)

Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #2 
Can anyone read that damaged name-plate?
For now I'm leaving the burgundy dye colouring alone !!!?? FOR NOW !!!
chrisnovice

Reply with quote  #3 
From the pics I think I can make out ...TPUR ROAD ...TA. So - Kanai Lal Chitpur Road Calcutta? It would surely be a stretch of the imagination to think that anybody would deliberately fake such a damaged name plate??
Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #4 
Exactly?!?!?! More likely to put a 'newer' one on, eh.
Lovely instrument & HAVE been asked to play it so peeps can hear it.
Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #5 
Maybe I could try to get it off - CAREFULLY and piece it together away from the sitar.?!!?!?
katyrow

Reply with quote  #6 
Defaced badges are a big tell in spotting inauthentic sitars.  Most sitars spend virtually all of their lives strung up.  The strings protect the badge.  Yet, there seems to be a limitless supply of old sitars that are in great condition, except for their defaced badges, which invariably hint at KL&B, HR, or RR.  The only explanation that I can think of for this is that people attempt a fake badge, and then deface it to the extent necessary to cover up the flaws and to make it look old.  This sitar is in otherwise terrific condition.  It's very unlikely that part of the instrument that is the most protected somehow suffered the most damage (and it's not just the cracks -- the lettering is warn, etc.) while all of the unprotected parts came through unscathed.

None of this matters though.  Looks like a great find.  Congrats on it.  Have you posted audio or video of this one?  If it sounds as good as it looks, it's a gem.  

DrKashyap

Reply with quote  #7 
@chrisnovice  (From the pics I think I can make out ...TPUR ROAD ...TA. So - Kanai Lal Chitpur Road Calcutta? It would surely be a stretch of the imagination to think that anybody would deliberately fake such a damaged name plate??)

Your finding seems to make sense.. as I can also see I before TPUR and one more thing is R of ROAD is double the height of other letters.  so it may give impression as ITPURI.. well that is only up to label..  Wish you a good luck Nick..
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.