INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Markoz12

Reply with quote  #16 
I agree, this is damage in transit and nothing to do with tuning.
That seems to have quite a hefty walled gourd.
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #17 
If that Hiren Roy gets smashed I will cry...Literally...
Markoz12

Reply with quote  #18 
I'll join you....
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #19 
Of course I'll be in tears BEFORE you all.
Thanks for the concern & confirmation of NOT being damaged due to string tension.

It was me & a friend who packed it & we did it exactly like we packed all the other sitars we've sent. It had padding around the toomba but not tight so the gourd could move slightly. Otherwise a bang's energy can be sent straight through & crack the gourd anyway. The sitar's body was well away from the WOODEN box's edges. I made sure there'd be room for movement.
This is the only one we've had with this kind of damage.

I've already told the buyer if he can get it to me, I'll fix it, as long as the neck join isn't broken. If not then I'll see what he feels. There might well be someone in Moscow who can do it.
Not that I want to shirk my responsibilities as seller but is it MY final responsibility to repay him any recompense even though it was well packed?
Lars
What do YOU do in these kinds of incidents? If you've ever had them, that is?

Nick
Markoz12

Reply with quote  #20 
Was there any form of insurance with the shipping?

Did the buyer take any pictures of the wooden box.
You should know the condition of the box in which it arrived.
That looks like it has taken a good whack from something and it appears it was from the right hand side of the tabli as it is broken about an inch in from the edge join of the tabli and gourd......along the curly carving decoration.
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #21 
I've already asked for a shot of the box & am surprised, after he told me it was damaged, he hadn't sent one WITH the sitar shots.
As I said, to cause THAT kind of damage would need a good hard whack on its side.

N
Lars

Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "trippy
Of course I'll be in tears BEFORE you all.
Thanks for the concern & confirmation of NOT being damaged due to string tension.

It was me & a friend who packed it & we did it exactly like we packed all the other sitars we've sent. It had padding around the toomba but not tight so the gourd could move slightly. Otherwise a bang's energy can be sent straight through & crack the gourd anyway. The sitar's body was well away from the WOODEN box's edges. I made sure there'd be room for movement.
This is the only one we've had with this kind of damage.

I've already told the buyer if he can get it to me, I'll fix it, as long as the neck join isn't broken. If not then I'll see what he feels. There might well be someone in Moscow who can do it.
Not that I want to shirk my responsibilities as seller but is it MY final responsibility to repay him any recompense even though it was well packed?
Lars
What do YOU do in these kinds of incidents? If you've ever had them, that is?

Nick
My apologies Nick, thought you had that guy they all use in Varanasi pack who packs too tight. Should have paid more attention to the post, I had one broken coming out of V before so it struck my sympathies...If it was in a wood box then it's shock damage and they must have really dropped it good. Wood protects the instrument well enough but adds weight and then they are more likely to get dropped, etc. There's really no way you can get compensated if you packed it yourself, especially if it's a single shipment via EMS or whatever as they're always declared as a gift or sample due to export technicalities in India. I've only felt justified submitting claims in cases where the packing was inadequate and usually the resolution will be a replacement or nothing at all. Once in awhile customs will help you lose too by opening and not repacking right in which case your out of luck.

I've had my share of mishaps from India of course, always because of how packing was done and not much you can do really except keep going. If it's minor then I fix it, if it's major then I part out the instrument. Hope the rest make it safely.....

Lars

Reply with quote  #23 
Thanks again & YES I totally agree re packing!!!

Nick
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #24 
THE HIREN ROY 8 STRINGER
IT'S ARRIVED WITH NO DAMAGE!!!
I was shaking as I carefully removed all the outer packing & opened the box. ops:
I took pics as I went along for safety reasons.
I've put the bridge back on & tuned it up a little until it gets accustomed to the temperature in my house.

JAI SRI GANESH & JAI MA SARASWATI!!!!!!

Nick
Markoz12

Reply with quote  #25 
Excellent! Keep us posted!
meekon1

Reply with quote  #26 
New poster - so please be gentle with me.
I bought the OM sitar from Nick, which arrived a few days ago.
I have to say a very big thank you to him for his help and assistance - and of course for the sitar itself!
It arrived when promised and very safely packaged.

It is beautiful - and I was startled at the sound, having only seen and played Bina before (occasionally), this was a revelation.
Two days in and I am suffering from sore and blistered fingers - which means I am having to limit my playing time whilst they get properly calloused (is there anything I can use to speed this up?)
My seating posture and seems to be improving every time I pick it up, but I am still not quite there in getting it positioned securely, but I am sure it will come.
Any tips?
And does anyone know of any sitar teachers in South West Wales, UK? Or if there aren't any - what online or DVD courses/tutorials would you recommend for a beginner?
Thanks
Jim
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #27 
Two days in and I am suffering from sore and blistered fingers - which means I am having to limit my playing time whilst they get properly calloused (is there anything I can use to speed this up?)

Hey--- Congratulations on getting a sitar that you like! A blessing, I'm sure.

:roll: , unfortunately there is not much you can do about the pain, it's something that's a 'right of passage', so to speak. Many of us use a drop of oil on our fingers, so as to slide up and down the strings. ( Be sure to not get the oil on any part of the sitar except the playing strings and be sure to wipe down the strings after playing or gunk will build up on them.) I use coconut oil, but Lars over at Rain City has some other's too.

You could tune to C or C# and avoid D for the time being, but I'm afraid this is how it goes for a spell, until the callous or the 'trench' develops.

Reply with quote  #28 
So glad you like it. It is an exceptional sitar. And SO cheap?!!?!? :wink:

You've not retuned to D, have you? It was C# when it left me.
As OG says, a little oil, not solidifying type, on the index left & then just wipe it down the first string, then clean string off when finished.

Nick
Fil

Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "meekon1"
My seating posture and seems to be improving every time I pick it up, but I am still not quite there in getting it positioned securely, but I am sure it will come.
Any tips?
And does anyone know of any sitar teachers in South West Wales, UK? Or if there aren't any - what online or DVD courses/tutorials would you recommend for a beginner?
Thanks
Jim
I'm in a similar situation as you. Very much in the early stages with sitar, only been playing a few weeks. At first I could only play for ten minutes or so before I sliced off the ends of my fingers (or so it felt). Last night I played for two hours or more, so things obviously improve fairly quickly. Mind you I can feel the tenderness in my index finger this morning!

As for DVDs, books etc. Well, I have no teacher atm so I started with David Courtney's book and CD, Learning the Sitar. It's a handy introduction to the instrument. The book has over 50 exercises each with a track on the CD, so it's great for learning the basics and getting that early necessary practice in. I'm an experienced muso, but I'm happy to sit in kindergarten when it comes to learning sitar and ICM. Besides, it's fun.

Other than that, you must check out Rain City Music's DVD collection. I have just ordered three DVDs off Lars and will no doubt get more as time goes by. There are some demo videos on the site to show you what you get.

Linky: Rain City Music Instructional DVDs

Good luck and alla best!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.