INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Siddharth Venkatesh

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello All,

I have been learning tabla for close to 6 months now. The present issue I have is that the weight of my Bayan stroke (Ge) is very less. My strongest strokes are for bols TeTe on the tabla.
I am almost not able to get an audible sound when i strike the bayan for Ge. This is less during slower speeds but still not audible as the other strokes.

Any inputs/exercises for improving this will be helpful please.
taaliyan

Reply with quote  #2 
Tabla is a guru mukhi vidya - which means that you learn facing your teacher - who should be able to correct anything wrong in your posture / hand position and such. If your teacher is not able to correct these, you should look for a teacher who can. Try going to David  Courtney on Skype (his links should be available on this site)  if he teaches on Skype or some other teacher in your area to find out the reason. Without the knowledge of how you are playing it will be very difficult to answer your question. 

While practicing play each kayda / vistar / palta for 10 mins at least without a break on the same laya. 

I hope you get a breakthrough.
dhatitdha

Reply with quote  #3 
As pointed out by Taaliyan,  it is difficult to advice without observing your playing style, and good teacher can help you to improve.

Check below phrase, it may help you to strengthen your Baya hand.

Ge Ge Tee Ta | Ge Ge Na Na |
Ke Ke Tee Ta | Ge Ge Na Na |

"Ge Ge" should be played with middle finger and index finger simultaneously or vice a versa
saurav2614

Reply with quote  #4 
Dear Siddharth,
If you don't find a Guru, you may check this video on Bayan Technique.

It helped me a lot to  improve my Bayan Stroke.
Ever since I watched the video, I spend 7 to 10 min every day (for last 10 months) and I can feel the weight of my bayan stroke (Still long way to go!!).
At the beginning it was bit boring to practice only Ghe Ge. I used to play for 2 min (without any pause) in a very slow Tempo.
Then I used to think (and recite in my mind) of a sweet 8 bit theka (ie, DhiG Nana ThiG DhaNa) but play only Ghe Ge 8 times in a cycle. I don't know its a right technique or not but I found it interesting and I don't get bored to practice only Ghe Ghe. 
Then I play the phrase that 'DhatiDha'  mentioned. But when I play in slow tempo I (sometimes) double up the Tee Ta or Na Na.
What I mean is...
Ge Ge TeeTaTeeTa | Ge Ge NaNaNaNa |
Ke Ke TeeTaTeeTa | Ge Ge NaNaNaNa |

I do this to make the training session a bit interesting. it also helps me to improve the sense of the Tempo.

Happy learning and all the best my friend.       

Saurav
Siddharth Venkatesh

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks for the replies. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.