INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
povster

Reply with quote  #1 
I understand that the older method of attaching frets to the dande (neck) is by using a mixture of wax and cloth ash. What I am wondering is, what is the shape of the fret itself. I have seen photos of some vins with the waxed frets and there is a relatively thick base of the wax. But do the frets embedded into the wax look like? How are they shaped?
povster

Reply with quote  #2 
I am bumping this up. I cannot believe of all the folks here no one can describe to me the configuration of a fret before it is embedded in the wax. Is it all metal? Is there any wood base to it? Is it shaped to conform to the diameter of the neck precisely, or does the was itself take up that dimension?
Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #3 
WELL POVSTER - Since you bumped it up - I have not been to my teachers house since he went to India in January for 2 months - He has been stopping by my place for my lesson every week since his return - Now that being said - all I can remember of his VERY OLD Been's frets is a large blob of black wax with a metal rail sticking out of the top shaped KINDA like yours - There MAY have been a black wooden base the rail was embedded to that I either do not remember, was obscured, or blended in - I am hoping to get up there in the next couple weeks - Gotta pull some wires for his new entertainment system in his den & I will take a look then - My wife & I are going to finally come out of the 35mm stone age ops: in the next couple of months & buy a digital camera (after MUCH research & soul searching - I'm a Libra can't decide anything without agonizing :roll: ) - I will take pics & post when we procure cam but it gonna be a while. . Hopefully SOMEONE with been experience will chime in before then.

Hamletsghost 8)

Reply with quote  #4 
hi Michael,

at least until Hamletsghost gets back to you with his observations: the photos of Shamsuddin Faridi's vina on both the Makar and India Archive CD covers seem to show (wax embedded) frets with a wooden base topped by the usual thin brass 'rail' on top, which would make sense since making the whole fret out of brass would be a major pain, weigh a ton and cost much more.

....fwiw

daniel
westsea

Reply with quote  #5 
By the way, regarding Makar Records...

Greetings to all Indian music lovers!
This site is now closed as Makar Records has ceased to exist.
You can order the remaining titles at
RAGA MAQAM DASTGAH etc.
Traditional Music from India and the Islamic World on CD
Axel Elbin
Fusilierstr. 4, D-40476 Dusseldorf, Germany
tel & fax +49-211-4541122
e-mail: info@raga-maqam-dastgah.com
http://www.raga-maqam-dastgah.com
You can send your comments or reach me at
makar_records@excite.com
Thanks to all Makar records musicians and fans, all over the world!
Frederic
Surbaharplayer

Reply with quote  #6 
The best pics I can find:

http://www.rudravina.com/html_gb/inst_01.html

You'll have to click on the frets-section and a popup will open....

Dunno anything on the subject though....
Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #7 
What a resource :!: - Thanks Surbaharplayer - I am copying the pages to an offline file in case the linc is lost or closes down - This has to be one of the best sites I've seen on Rudra Vina. Now that I've seen the pics it refreshed my memory (ol' hippie ya know ) I remember clearly now, my teachers bin is like the one that shows the dark wooden frame with the dark metal rail set into the slot, then waxed on (sometimes wax off ops: sorry) That one with the thumb srew to set the fret in a trak looks great - would be very fast to retune & probably hold well. Hmmmmm - I will be printing this info & passing on to my guru as well - He will be most interrested in the parts regarding Bande Ali Khan progenitor of our Gharana. Thanks again for this excellent info.

Hamletsghost 8)

Reply with quote  #8 
Dude, Wax frets must have been a nightmare.
Can you imagine keeping the frets level with eachother.
Why would someone in a country as hot as india rely on wax for anything?
I would think you would be playing and the frets would just slide off on a hot summer day.
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #9 
Asad Ali Khans full carved Kanai Lal axe has tied frets that have been de-threaded and a full wax job applied. I would think that frets set up for wax would be pretty much the same. The raised section where the threads wrap around might be shaved down a bit but there still needs to be enough wood on the fret to keep it stable on the neck, complete with cut out notch to match the runner strip on the neck. Every thing else is the same, as best as I can see.
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.