INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Christianamr

Reply with quote  #1 
I was wondering for some time about the different geographical locations of the vocal Gharanas and I am surprised that none of the Khayal Gharanas are located in Bengal , considering the contributions of this state to classical music .

I am aware that Bengal has a Dhrupad gharana , namley Vishnupur , but Dhrupad is not as popular as Khyal and other vocal styles .
On the other hand it is stated Bengal has a tendency for Thumris , but it doesn

pbercker

Reply with quote  #2 
I was wondering for some time about the different geographical locations of the vocal Gharanas and I am surprised that none of the Khayal Gharanas are located in Bengal , considering the contributions of this state to classical music .

I am aware that Bengal has a Dhrupad gharana , namley Vishnupur , but Dhrupad is not as popular as Khyal and other vocal styles .

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
Christianamr

Reply with quote  #3 

pbercker

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Christianamr"

Ustad Salamat Ali Khan and Nazakat Ali Khan had an appealing style that is also very rhythmic , often syncopated . They could sing in a manner that was quite vigourous , often bordering on the agressive ( not in a negative sense ) .
I think I know what you mean. This is especially prominent with Salamat Ali Khan's son Shaqat Ali Khan whose style I very much like.

pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.