INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #1 
Years ago, in the green room at a VK concert in LA, I got a reeel up close, intimate and personal look at the grand mans sitar. He was most amused at my intense interest in his sitar. Got a closeup photo of that little thumb wheel fine tuner on his first string. No such animal is available, though. Figured it out! The brake levers on bicycles have almost the exact same setup for taking up the slack on stretched cables and fine tuneing the brake pad pressure on the rim. Such a thumbwheel rig on a base plate will do the job on a sitar. I'm working on the prototype right now. Looks promising!

Reply with quote  #2 
Hey tony,
great! Hope you are planning on selling them or adding a howto on your site. I am interested as soon as you can make them.
Pb
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Sitarfixer"
Years ago, in the green room at a VK concert in LA, I got a reeel up close, intimate and personal look at the grand mans sitar. He was most amused at my intense interest in his sitar. Got a closeup photo of that little thumb wheel fine tuner on his first string. No such animal is available, though. Figured it out! The brake levers on bicycles have almost the exact same setup for taking up the slack on stretched cables and fine tuneing the brake pad pressure on the rim. Such a thumbwheel rig on a base plate will do the job on a sitar. I'm working on the prototype right now. Looks promising!

sitarman

Reply with quote  #3 
Wha? What are you dudes talking about? Never heard or seen it.
haldamos

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Wha? What are you dudes talking about? Never heard or seen it.
hilarious! sitarman had the same reaction, when the thumtwiddler post was on...i copied pasted my explanation...Mr. K, if you have anything to add...

the "thumb-twidler" is the tuning mechansim UVK installed on his KL sitar...basically, it is a metal cylinder that is hollowed out. It stands vertically on the sitar. The head is basicaly a knob, which turns a screw running through the interior of the cylinder. Within the cylinder, there is a platform. The screw runs through this platform and when turned, raises or lowers the platform. On the sidewall of the cyinder, vertical slats are cutaway, allowing for a string to go through it; the string rests on the platform. Therefore, minute adjustments can be made by turning the screw (via the knob that caps it) and raising/lowering the platform, which in turn increases/decreases the pitch. I hope that explanation helps...i'll try and find a photo where it is clear, but i don't think i have any.

Cheers!

Reply with quote  #5 
It stands vertically on the sitar.

Where is it positioned? Does simple string tension hold it in place or is it affixed with something?

Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #6 
Dealiee is placed about 2/3 way between the bridge back and the tailpost, closer to the tailpost. String tension alone holds it in place and there is a little disc of leather that it sits on.
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.