INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
chrisitar

Reply with quote  #1 
http://i.imgur.com/CFrY1tS.png

How 'bout that?

Reply with quote  #2 
Smiles up front, knives behind backs? :wink:

Nah, they got on OK in private, or so I've read. Tony may know more though.
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #3 
They shared more in common, ultimately, than not. I would surmise that they would both accuse the press of overinflating things.

This is my conjecture and just a sort of idea I've gotten from time spent with members of the family, such as I have been afforded, but I would guess any animosity seemingly towards Ravi Shankar is less towards the man himself, and more towards the overreaction of the West and the media that deified the first guy to really introduce them to the sitar. For example, the blindered press ignorance in that one interview of Anoushka Shankar where the interviewer assumed since she was the daughter of Ravi Shankar, she must be like, well, the second best sitarist in the world? (No disrespect to Anoushka...this is the whole point...these are masterful players, but the media and the west in general has just existed with a certain ignorance it seems reluctant to rid itself of.)

Anytime there is a populist idol in a classical tradition, you know it has to irk the other masters of the classical tradition, and not necessarily generate personal animosity...I'm trying to think of examples, Charlotte Church, various very popular painters, any really well known "superstar" type personalities (hell, I suppose Liberace to pianists!). The other performers in that idiom may be on fine terms with that person but really resent the ignorance of the media that assumes they are, by virtue of their popularity, the unchallenged star of their field.

Anyway, such are just the guesses and postulations of an outside party! Like John and Paul, I'm sure a bit of internal (perhaps friendly!) competition spurred them on to do greater things!
ahirbhairav

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "chrisitar"

How 'bout that?
This has GOT to be Photoshopped, there is no way the WORST sitarist in the world (VK) and the best sitarist in the world (RS) got along...

Rakesh & Friends (Gino Banks, the drummer, tweeted me that they'll be in Oct, so whenever they come here, if they come here.)
Zakir Hussain & company (3/23/14)
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #5 
- and I can't believe that the above posting could be taken as serious. One must assume this to be the rantings of a frustrated internet troll desperate to stir things up for self amusement. Wrong crowd here as the vast majority have the sense to accept that both of these men were giants and pioneers in the sitar world. Gotta blow this one off. Regarding further above, I can't add anything to the actual topic. Raviji had told me during a drive up to a Pasadena concert that there are so many wonderful musicians in India that have dedicated their lives to promoting this music. He was still amazed although obviously pleased to be in his position and grateful that he was able to do so much with it.

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "ahirbhairav"
Quote:
Originally Posted by "chrisitar"

How 'bout that?
This has GOT to be Photoshopped, there is no way the WORST sitarist in the world (VK) and the best sitarist in the world (RS) got along...
Since you lit the fuse, perhaps you would like to illuminate us as to why you have so much hate for the man....

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "nicneufeld"
(hell, I suppose Liberace to pianists!)
Definitely. Likewise, many professional classical singers derided Mario Lanza. He had a truly amazing voice (I personally rank his voice as the most outstanding of the twentieth century, at least timbre and power/dynamic range wise) but he was no opera singer...never really had the training, he was ruined by Hollywood and greedy movie moguls.

As for VK being bad? Meh, silly thing to say, but even so I don't warm to his playing like I do to RS or Nikhil Banerjee. Strangely enough though I adore listening to VK's son, Shujaat, who I have only recently discovered.

Edited: Must add that given the choice between attending a concert by Anoushka or Shujaat, I'd likely choose the Khan man (though probably for his voice as much as his playing). I like Anoushka a lot, but there you go. Strange really, given my love for RS.

Besides, attractive as Anoushka is, you have to admit that pound for the dollar you get more value out of Shujaat (who I actually find quite appealing, despite his bulk).
David Russell Watson

Reply with quote  #8 
Never mind the question of their rivalry.

The more important question is why is Khan dressed like my granddad?

:?

David
vbnautilus

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "nicneufeld"
This is my conjecture and just a sort of idea I've gotten from time spent with members of the family, such as I have been afforded, but I would guess any animosity seemingly towards Ravi Shankar is less towards the man himself, and more towards the overreaction of the West and the media that deified the first guy to really introduce them to the sitar. For example, the blindered press ignorance in that one interview of Anoushka Shankar where the interviewer assumed since she was the daughter of Ravi Shankar, she must be like, well, the second best sitarist in the world? (No disrespect to Anoushka...this is the whole point...these are masterful players, but the media and the west in general has just existed with a certain ignorance it seems reluctant to rid itself of.)
I think this is spot on and the same impression I picked up from being around him and members of the family. I'll add one piece though, that it was not just the overreaction of the West -- but also the way the West's reaction drove reactions in India. Probably seemed at times that the Indian scene was overly concerned with Western fame. At any rate, it was definitely more this stuff than any personal issue.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.