INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
sitar19

Reply with quote  #1 
I am selling this late 1950s early 1960's Rikhi Ram Necklace sitar. It is nearly identical to this one on Tony K's site 
   http://karaseksound.com/ShowDetails.php?ID=IMG0110
   Here is a vid with some closeup pics and sound sample:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vA804mF308s" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

While this style of sitar is usually set up for Gayaki style, or Gandhar Pancham, this one is set up for Kharaj Pancham. This sitar has such nice bass response and sustain that it is great for this style of playing. It is in fantastic condition for its age, only a few small blemishes, one small blemish on the tumba, and a distressed area on the neck near the label- some surface damage on the label and binding right next to the label. Comes with the original case which has a missing handle, but good shape otherwise. All told, a rare bird.  The sound for this vid was recorded with a BeyerDynamic TG153c, a great sounding condenser from Germany that sells for about $100 and sounds close to a Neumann. This was run through a Beringer X-Air mixer with a little reverb and direct out to the camera.
Comes with original case
$1650
PM me if interested.
barend

Reply with quote  #2 
Nice sitar. Sounds good.

Can you explain how you do the taraf strokes in the beginning exactly? How do you get the stroke from lowest to highest taraf? And do you have a nail on the left hand to get the left hand taraf stroke? It's fairly unconventional.
sitar19

Reply with quote  #3 
I have long nails on both thumbs and both little fingers. The stroke from low to high is done with the thumbnail on the right hand, the high to low is done with either the left hand thumbnail or the right little finger nail. I learned this technique from my teacher, Roop Verma, who left us 2 years ago. He would often use this at the beginning of a Raga or during performances for yoga and meditation. His son, Arjun, also has the same nails and uses the same strokes. We also have a thing where we use the left little finger nail to pluck the first taraf string in between the frets reaching under it with an upstroke. 
barend

Reply with quote  #4 
Ok thanks for explaining. I like those taraf strokes. Good luck with the sale!
I had an old RR like this myself but without the necklace.
sitar19

Reply with quote  #5 
The price is not firm, accepting offers...

katyrow

Reply with quote  #6 
These sitars allow for limited meend and are best strung KP like this one. Nice Sitar.
barend

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyrow
These sitars allow for limited meend

Yes noticed that too on my vintage RR from the same era. The neck is not as wide as with more modern sitars.

This made me think: is this the same on other sitars from that era? and from what year on did sitar makers start making wider necks that allowed more meend range (5 or 5,5 notes, say middle Sa to Pa or komal Dha)?

sitar19

Reply with quote  #8 
I had a Lahore Music House sitar from the same time period that I recently sold, with a similarly narrow neck. However it was set up with the bridge asymmetrically positioned to the peg side of the tabli giving more room for meend. The neck was also aligned with a slight offset to the peg side, also giving more room for pulling. This sitar could meend from middle Sa to Pa. The Rikhi I have for sale goes from middle Sa to tivra Ma right now but I think there is room to move the bridge a bit to the peg side giving it room to go to Pa. 
  BTW Dropping the price to 1400 obo.
katyrow

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
This made me think: is this the same on other sitars from that era? and from what year on did sitar makers start making wider necks that allowed more meend range (5 or 5,5 notes, say middle Sa to Pa or komal Dha)?

I think it has more to do with this style of sitar. I have a couple of Mohan Singhs from the same era with no similar restriction.  Wasim Maner's NB style instruments seem to have very wide necks that allow for extended meend. I don't see the narrower necks as a deficiency, just a difference.      
Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #10 
Just how far do people 'need' to meend anyway???? HA HA

Get a Vichitra Veena !!

Nick
barend

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Proctor
Just how far do people 'need' to meend anyway???? HA HA

Get a Vichitra Veena !!

Nick

haha...well at least 5 notes (middle Sa to Pa). Always good to have some extra room at the side of the neck so you don't have to meend all the way to the edge of the neck. For me that is a must.
Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #12 
At LEAST 5 notes?!?!?!? - WHY pray tell?
Can you imagine the string pressure on the neck ?
barend

Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Proctor
At LEAST 5 notes?!?!?!? - WHY pray tell?
Can you imagine the string pressure on the neck ?

5 notes is pretty common (middle sa to pa or ma to high sa). I heard Shahid Parvez meend from middle sa to komal Dha from time to time. That is 5,5 notes.
Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #14 
Now THAT'S just showing off ?!?!!? HA HA
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.