INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
theClassicFreak

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello,
I have a collection of rare recordings of many ICM artists but trapped inside Longplay Magnetic Tapes
check the picture to know what I mean
http://goo.gl/0I1IF
So I was wondering if there was any way someone here could help me restore them to digital format for sharing.
I am based in Calcutta,India.

Suggestions welcome.

Reply with quote  #2 
I also live in Kolkata.

I am a music recording engineer by profession, although I am now a faculty at the Satyajit Ray Film and Television Institute.

Music digitisation and restoration is a very serious hobby of mine.
I would be privileged to be able to do it for you.
My e-mail address is abhimonyudeb@yahoo.com .
Could you give me your contact details?
Although I am currently recovering from a rather complex stomach surgery, we can easily get together by mail or phone and, if nothing else, at least be friends.

Abhimonyu Deb
chrisitar

Reply with quote  #3 
Please let us know if these become publicly available. Who and what are the recordings of?

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for the response.
Most of the recordings are AIR broadcasts from the 80's and some of them are live recordings of Nikhil Banerjee,Amjad Ali Khan,Shankar Ghosh,etc.
What I am particularly keen on is to find any recording of Pt Gokul Nag.
Though the only way to be sure is by restoring them and I'll surely make them public.

N.B:Hope they don't turn out to be some recording that's already on YouTube or such.

Reply with quote  #5 
I don't know if you've seen this; there are some publicly available short recordings of Pt. Gokul Nag available for download at the Raga Records website.

http://www.ragarecords.com/gokulnag.html
theClassicFreak

Reply with quote  #6 
I know about those recordings.
Its by Ira Landgarten,
I've other cassette tape recordings of him and can play them in Sony Walkman but these longplay tapes are not my cup of tea.

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "theClassicFreak"
I know about those recordings.
Its by Ira Landgarten,
I've other cassette tape recordings of him and can play them in Sony Walkman but these longplay tapes are not my cup of tea.
My teacher (Peter Row) was a student of Gokul Nag. In the winter of 1979/1980 I took lessons from Gokul Nag.

What are the chances of getting your Gokul Nag recordings? Even if you can make cassette copies (I would pay the costs.)

I am setup to transcribe them to digital. Would be happy to send you digital copies as well.

theClassicFreak

Reply with quote  #8 
Well I'm a bit clingy to those tapes as they are my only memories of my grandfather and moreover pretty rare so its unlikely I will let em go.
Sorry for being such a stone hearted person but I would love to share it digitally.

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "theClassicFreak"
Well I'm a bit clingy to those tapes as they are my only memories of my grandfather and moreover pretty rare so its unlikely I will let em go.
Sorry for being such a stone hearted person but I would love to share it digitally.
I appreciate the desire to hold onto them. I was not asking for the originals but for copies I could digitize and also send you the digitized copies.

trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #10 
Pov
I would think our friend could indeed rerecord them with very little loss of quality using a studio there. THEN send you THESE copies.
I totally understand if any 'harm' may come to the tapes if they got sent with no backup.

Nick
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.