INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #16 
OK You Lot
Here we go then. YAMAN & Darbari in the zip folder.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30101777/UVK%20YAMAN.zip

Nick
Bakersbites786

Reply with quote  #17 
Thank you se
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #18 
Camels?!!??
Just send the cheque to.....

Nick
Jaime

Reply with quote  #19 
thank you Trippy, have a safe trip to India.
take care

Reply with quote  #20 
Glad you're all happy with it. I'm actually in Abu Dhabi Airport at the mo. There's a giant icecream cone in the middle, Will arrive at Delhi after 3 am' Lovely. right gotta go now. see you all in India

Nick
j_spru

Reply with quote  #21 
thanks!
ljfarrugia

Reply with quote  #22 
At the risk of sounding like a pedantic academic (which of course I am) I'll add my further comments on the availability of Vilayat Khan's classic Darbari and Yaman on CD, in the light of the other comments.

The Yaman was originally released as far as I am aware in 1968 as Music for India Series 7 (ASD 2425 in UK) . The vilambit gat (23:57) on side 1 and the madhya gat (15:03) and drut gat (11:47) on side 2. Two CD versions have been released by Saregama. One called "Evergreen Yaman" (CDNF 150511) has the vilambit gat (23:55) and madhya+drut gats combined (23:30). This version has a third track with Bismillah Khan. Another version, usefully titled "Sitar" on CDNF 150142 has Yaman (all gats combined in one track of 50:42) and Mishra Mand. Both these versions are may also be available as MP3 downloads, as mentioned already. The version uploaded by Nick (trippy monkey) is I am sure from the "Evergreen Yaman" album, in which the madhya gat has been edited and is about three minutes shorter than on the LP. So to get the full version of Yaman, you need to get the CDNF 150142 CD or download.

The Darbari is on Saregama CDNF 150186, also called "Sitar". As far as I can tell this is the full version, with the same track timings as the original LP and I can detect no drastic editing. Again should be available as MP3 download (depending on country of residence).

Sound quality on both the Yaman and Darbari CD's is excellent.
bosmart

Reply with quote  #23 
For those who thought the missing part of the LP record was an alap in raag Yaman I may point you to a concert recording I uploaded some time ago on my blog
http://lalogiqueinterne.blogspot.fr/2010/11/ustad-vilayat-khan.html
which has an alap and apart from the Yaman a raag Desh and Bhairavi. This concert dates 1968 i.e. the same dates as the LP. Manik Rao Popatkar is on tabla. A moment of pure bliss. (Any camels will be welcome.)
ljfarrugia

Reply with quote  #24 
It seems like an apology is in order to John (UK) who made a comment at the start of this blog to the effect that the Darbari version on the CD was the subject of some "shock editing". There is indeed a very poorly edited section in the first track (alap & jor) on the Saregama CD starting around 14:54 and finishing at 15:16. I don't know how I missed this before ?

I don’t know for certain what has been done, but to me it sounds like a short section taken from a poor copy of an LP has been (very badly) spliced in. Perhaps the original master tape was damaged there? Anyway the real problem is that the spliced section is played back at a slower speed so that it is quite out of tune with the rest of the track, which has a jarring effect, and on the return to the original master at 15:16 this is particularly bad.

There is also a strange editing on the second track (gat) around 19:00 where the sound volume suddenly rises. In fact this is also present on my LP version from the late 1960's, so the blame for this cannot be laid at the Saregama CD mastering.

Despite all these impefections, the music is so good that I still highly recommend this CD of Darbari.
ragamala

Reply with quote  #25 
Just a note that my copy of the Yaman is the Gramophone Company of India EASD 1350 which came out in 1972 (I must have the Southall edition!) with a blue cover.

Available if anybody wants it, I'd part with it. Might cost a camel or two. But have wife, would consider part-exchange ;-)
povster

Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "rex@sitar.co.za"
Hey Guys,

I'm trying to find copies of my two favourite sitar recordings: Vliayat Khan's Yaman (1968) and Darbari.
It has been a few years since I posted this. It is a low fidelity (but still listenable) live performance of Vilayat Khan's Darbari probably from the 60s. It is alap/jor/jhalla but that alap/jor/jhalla is longer than the LP record with both alap and bandesh.

To me this is truly inspired Vilayat Khan. I have the LP recording but actually never listen to it but listen to this instead.

http://www.mediafire.com/?z6lzs5jbf2e078v

gjeram

Reply with quote  #27 
For those who thought the missing part of the LP record was an alap in raag Yaman I may point you to a concert recording I uploaded some time ago on my blog
http://lalogiqueinterne.blogspot.fr/201 ... -khan.html
which has an alap and apart from the Yaman a raag Desh and Bhairavi. This concert dates 1968 i.e. the same dates as the LP. Manik Rao Popatkar is on tabla. A moment of pure bliss. (Any camels will be welcome.)

Dear Bosmart - these files are no longer available - any chance of a reupload?!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.