INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Betaji

Reply with quote  #1 
My understanding is that the basic teka is improvised with filler bols suitable to the mood, style, etc in accompaniment. My question is, can a chalan be improvised in a similar manner/way?
hbajpai

Reply with quote  #2 
At least in Farrukhabad, a chalan is improvised like a kaida. I.e there is a method in the improvisation similar to the paltas in a kaida.

The chalan is followed by a rela, which is also improvised like a kaida. Then the rela is then followed by a rav, which also improvised like a kaida. Not all chalan's are required to have both rela and a rav. Some Chalan's have just a rela or the rav. Very traditional chalan's almost always have both rela and rav. Such chalans's are also very traditionally expanded and each end with a tihai.

The idea is that the chalan establishes the framework upon which the rela and rav is based on. Chalan, rela, rav have their own tihai's as well.

These days, people play 3-4 variations of the chalan, typically skip the tihai and move right into the rav or the rela, which goes on for a longer time ending with a tihai.
pbercker

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "hbajpai"
At least in Farrukhabad, a chalan is improvised like a kaida. I.e there is a method in the improvisation similar to the paltas in a kaida.
Ed Hanley has a lovely Farrukhabad Chalan-kaida here ....

And a brief explanation as to its history here ...

http://52kaidas.blogspot.com/2010/07/dha-dha-gegenage.html

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
assingh

Reply with quote  #4 
This may provide additional help with this topic...

http://bit.ly/11h1Uz1
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.