INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
RD

Reply with quote  #16 
how did u get those statistics??

Hair style's of Banaras. There's a whole chapter on tabla player hair styles. You should order it, very good reading!
tablafreak

Reply with quote  #17 
A research study was performed by the advanced institute for Mullet cutting.

Reply with quote  #18 
oh right ...
thnks for letin me know 8)
Jamie

Reply with quote  #19 
Cool! I can see your point. Opinions are good. But we should always look up to our musical peers. Re. this performance, I woulnd't be able to fault it, even if I tried. I saw Subhanker Banerjee play with Kala in Leicester, but still prefer Ghate. Subhanker was good, but a bit aggressive. Ghate is more fun, and has a softer hand.

More importantly, though, 5/5 for hair acrobatics, but perhaps the beard is a little over the top
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Aanaddha"
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Jamie"
Aanaddha, do you really mix with the likes of Anindo Chatterjee? Are you disrespectful to them as well? :roll: Recent comments about Swapan Chaudhuri obviously didn't go unnoticed either!

Jamie
I saw Pt. Swapan Chaudhury perform at the all-nite concert in NYC two weeks ago (Anahad and Surtaal have also given reviews). This was the first time I had actually seen the Maestro in a live concert. This was also among the VERY best tabla performances I have ever witnessed, either live or recorded. I will go so far as to say this was no mere 'performance' but a well-thought and near-perfect presentation of the most eloquent musicality.
Thankfully, not every performer gives a perfect performance 100% of the time. Swapanda even stated at the beginning of this performance, "If I make a mistake, so what? It's not my Guru's fault. Hopefully, I will learn from my mistakes". This is as true for the eminent Pandit as much as it is for the novice or semi-professional.
What I believe, or what I meant to say in an earlier comment about Swapan Chaudhury was - 'that a friend of mine told me recently that a performance he saw of the Pandit's recently wasn't up to the level he had expected'. I don't believe I was being "disrespectful' or "negative", but simply repeating one person's opinion. As much as I personally respect Pt. Chaudhury no artist I believe is above or beyond occassional criticism.
Everyone has an opinion. One person's opinion may be more or less critical than another person's opinion. This doesn't mean that my opinion is more knowledgeable than yours, it's simply a different opinion. I also believe that veryone's opinion is welcome as long as it doesn't become personal or impolite.
Finally, in regard to Vijay Ghate's playing on this particular video; I think the particular style he's chosen would be better suited for the latter portion of a Thumri than for a Khyal-derived bandish and his stage presence overall compared to Swapan Chaudhury's (my recent vision of whom is impossible to erase; admittedly he raises all expectations) is to put it simply, unrefined.

A.

sim90

Reply with quote  #20 
but perhaps the beard is a little over the top

couldnt agree more
tablafreak

Reply with quote  #21 
Hair acrobatics is a topic that is extensively covered by Kippen in his momumental book "The Tabla of Lucknow". In fact a whole chapter is devoted to it. Sections include:

1)Peshkar: To Wave or not to wave?

2)Styles of Waving

3)Current Wavers of today: Kishen, Zakir, Tari

Reply with quote  #22 
Gosh, that's just hil-arious, guys. But there's something I can't help but notice: it's nearly impossible to generate discussion on compositions or playing styles, but when it comes to joking about someone's hair, people come out of the woodwork. Maybe some people have their priorities in the wrong place? :?

:wink:
Jamie

Reply with quote  #23 
my poor topic
tablah

Reply with quote  #24 
Interesting...I was just reading "A Study of Tabla" by Samir Chatterjee (thanks for the recommend Aanaddha):

"He/she should look pleasant, restrained, attentive to and interactive with the fellow musicians...any excesses in these matters are to be discarded. Facial grimaces, over-enthusiasm and showing off are considered to be vices in a tabla player. Sometimes these are not only indulged in but faked, as it is very often done these days, for public show."

No judgment--just a thought.
RD

Reply with quote  #25 
Posted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:14 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Gosh, that's just hil-arious, guys. But there's something I can't help but notice: it's nearly impossible to generate discussion on compositions or playing styles, but when it comes to joking about someone's hair, people come out of the woodwork. Maybe some people have their priorities in the wrong place?
Shame on us. Humour has no place on these forums. I'll tell you what Chaz- Don't worry about our "priorities", if you don't like a reply or a certain post...simply move on. and please.... Lighten up!
scodoha

Reply with quote  #26 
I'm all for humour, I'm not so much for invective, wisdom is knowing the difference.
anahad

Reply with quote  #27 
Friends,
Here is my take on the subject.

Hair waving should be allowed when its being done in Ati Vilambit laya. The problem is that even if their hands are playing in madhyam their hairs are waving in drut and ati drut laya, so naturally they go out of tune.

But on a more serious note I think its important to have a serene presence becuase you see even with its depth and breadth spread across, essentially each genre of music express some basic human need. such as Rock with all its variety still contain an inherent anger of youth against establishment or controlling authority. In my humble opinion Tabla with all its beautiful presence in Gajhals and thumris still has its origin in Indian classical music which requires baithak ( Its a hindi/urdu word meaning a well settled,mature and calm attention) for in its spirit it still has a devotional aspect. Thats why its not such a trivial issue. Of course I am not saying we should be serious or judgemental to take the whole fun out of it. I am saying its enjoyment should not compromise the discretion of behaviour it demands

Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "tablafreak"

3)Current Wavers of today: Kishen, Zakir, Tari
I believe that Pt. Maharaj may be excused from all hair-waving prohibitions - for a person of his years having any remaining hair at all, is, by the odds of nature alone, a truly inspiring performance. :roll:

A.

Reply with quote  #29 
aanaddha
got to say, that was a really funny comment.

Reply with quote  #30 
hi there. i jus wanted to add something that was said in the beginning of this topic. there was a question about who this vijay ghate is: if iam not mistaken he playes in lucknow, i met him in india once when he played with utd amjad ali khan. and there he played nice. i fully agree that he has adopted the hairswinging thing quite a bit, but who cares about that (i mean zakir does that once in a while as well). but mr ghate was a really nice person and really took his time to talk to me and was really a great person. and i have some recordings of him with shahid parvez wich r not so bad. he is maybe not my big favourite but a "good enough" tabla player.
take care u all

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.