INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
miguel_cz

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello Everybody,

I am pleased to be on this forum. I am sitar player and I spent 2 years studying under a guidence of a great master of sitar - Avaneendra Sheolikar in Nagpur.

If you like to listen of samples how he plays just download the professional videoclip which we recorded together. You can download it from the website http://www.indialucia.com and look for it in the "gallery".

I wonder how do you like him playing.

Looking forward for your opinions.

Namaskar,

Miguel

http://indialucia.com/pool/207.jpg
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #2 
Delightful! Good stuff! Thank you! - and welcome to this forum! Glad to have you here. Been a long time since I've heard (watched) real musicians at work. Strong billing to the instruments is also much appreciated. Will be picking up the CD directly. Cheers to you and your fellow band mates!

Reply with quote  #3 
ola miguel,

This is very intersting.

I myself used to play flamenco guitar. then i went for a strip to india and soon enough on arrival to varanasi the guitar was exchanged for a sitar.

I still have a guitar at home which i play mostly flamenco on from time to time when im having a break from the sitar execises.

Thats why for me this indialucia project is moi interesante.

never mind the sitar playing of your teacher(guru?), your guitar playing is awsome. very warm, very rithmic all that is good about flamenco.

Did you try playing taranta style with the accompaniment of sitar? that must have been successful. taranta can start free of rithem as an exploration of the scale and form and then move into a more rithmic section. this concept is very close to the concept of performing a raga.

Plus its a very lirical style of flamenco, which could be great for meends on the sitar.

of course this is not an advise but just a question out of queriosity.

hasta lavista.

Reply with quote  #4 
I listened to these samples a few days ago. I liked it.
miguel_cz

Reply with quote  #5 
Dear Sitarfixer, Dennis and Sitarjunky,

Thank you for the warm words about our music. I am very happy you like it. It is an honour to hear it from people involved in indian music.

When I went to India first time in 1999 I was suppose to teach flamenco guitar in some of Music Academy in Nagpur. There I could choose one instrument to learn. Of course it was sitar as I liked it so much since I first time listened to it in on of The Beatles albums. After one year instead of having lessons with my Guruji I was taking my flamenco guitar to his house and we were jamming. Then I discovered hov close is the way of thinking and playing in both styles of music. That is how the idea of the album started.

Now I do not play much now on it. Still I have a lot to learn on guitar so I left sitar for the next life. I play maybe one hour a week to not forget the technique and to be always ready to play sometimes on concerts. And to keep my fingertips hard.

Reffering to taranta. It is indeed very similiar in the mood, and even I composed some parts of taranta to played with sitar, but I had no time to finish it. Tha album has already 50 minutes of music so I include it for the next part of Indialucia.

Now I am working with Carnatic musicians and we will have some stuff to record together.

See you soon,

Miguel
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #6 
Small worlds:
Sri Miguel,
I sent the IndiaLucia links to my Spanish friend living in Boston, USA. She wrote back saying that she was at the same time listening to your CD that her friend the contemporary composer, Shirish Korde - (whom you met in Poland and you gave your CD to when he was recording his latest CD 'Svara-Yantra' with the Polish Radio Symphony and the violinist, Joanna Kurkowicz) - was just playing for her!!

Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #7 
Wow! Very nice. Welcome to the forum.
miguel_cz

Reply with quote  #8 
The World is just a Global Village!

Do you know if the CD is already available? I would like to listen to it. I was sitting in the first raw of the auditorium so maybe my "kia bat hai" shout is recorded there. :-)

Miguel
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.