INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Lisaleira

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello all!

Please excuse my very very basic question. I have been dreaming to learn to play the Bansuri for many years and I finally bought one. I am looking for a Skype tutor or someone I could afford in the NY area but I haven’t found it yet. So I am looking st YouTube and online books.

But I am confused about one thing. I realize this is a very basic question. Many online sites show fingering charts. And videos explain “ sa re ga ma” and what holes you cover for these tones. So for these tones, "sa", that is by covering the first three holes-- is that the same on any size flute, with any tuning?

Ie “sa” tonic is the same holes covered, whether it's an A sharp smaller flute or a G or even an E-- it's always Sa for the first three holes covered? Is hat right?

And then, so is it correct that Sa in different flutes would be equivalent to different western music notes?

In that case if I am following a YouTube lesson for a larger flute, can I try to mimic it on my smaller flute? I got an A sharp flute, but the lessons I see online are for either smaller or larger flutes. Can I just follow the fingering and disregard that mine will be different notes (But I guess the same “tonics” is the same “sa re ga” tones.

Is that right? Sorry if this doesn’t make sense, it’s a whole new world. Any suggestions on reading or sites for someone as beginner as me is very appreciated!

Thank you all so much for your time and this forum!
Tristan von Neumann

Reply with quote  #2 
The sa is not a specific pitch, just the tonic, like "ut" in Early Music solmization.

Just choose a tanpura background that is tuned to the same sa as your bansuri for reference.

The tutorials should work too, but if your online guru uses a different pitch, it will be hard to play along, obviously.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.