INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 3      Prev   1   2   3
David Russell Watson

Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "beenkar"
(Mr. David- I am waiting for your expert remarks.....)
Please drop your snide demeanor, Suvir. As I've made quite clear,
I assumed that you were someone else whose username on this
forum was also "beenkar", and have already apologized for that
mistake.

Why should you continue to feel offended by comments which you
now well know weren't intended for you?

David
adunc069

Reply with quote  #32 
Hi, I've heard of sitarists playing with teir nails too. Apparently, there has been some kind of "war" between people who play with nails and people who don't? This is the same for classical guitar, and the way Beenkar? was describing the right hand motion, it sounds the exact same as classical guitar right hand work. So are there any famous non-mezrab using players? Not just itar, any gharanas that forbid mezrab? Any info is nice
AbdulLatif

Reply with quote  #33 
My limited knowledge on the subject is that Ustad Zia Mohuiddin Dagar and the Dagarkhani gharanas play with the fingertips, Pir Shamsuddin Faridi appears to play with the fingernails grown long but may wear mizrabs( the pics are small and I only found 2). Ustad Asad Ali Khan plays with mizrabs, Pundit Hindraj Divakar uses mizrabs. This is based on the scant pictures available. I don't know if this should rise to the level of an ideological struggle :wink: does it sound sweet? Yes? Just dig it.
TonyK was kind enough to send me a lifetime supply of the wire wrapped mizrabs, they do sound very nice and the slighty thicker wire seems to improve the volume and tone on my "Padmini"(as in car) brand veena, Also the wrap and the rounded "clips" keeps them very secure in the 90 degree rotated position. The standard sitar mizrabs were not nearly as good IMO. (disclaimer!! To even infer I play my veen would be a misconception) ops:

Ustad Suvir Sahib, I'm sure Mr. Watson meant no harm, a link to your website should clear up any mistaken identity.

Reply with quote  #34 
Abdullah Saheb,

There is no ideological struggle.......yes but 'purists' do prefer playing with their nails because it gives the player a better 'feel' of the instrument and a more subtler control over the pluck.........as I mentioned earlier, if you play without nails on a thin(~.35) wire Surbahar string your nails are certainly going to get damaged because of the impact......... so mizrabs are necessary for such cases.......but you need to have mizrabs where the finger pads also touch the wire during impact.....you can think of some other alternative like a hard plastic mizrab which guitar players use which I tried with some success.........you need to keep on thinking about how to make your instrument and your technique better and the possibilities would certainly open up..........

AbdulLatif

Reply with quote  #35 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "AbdulLatif"
Pir Shamsuddin Faridi appears to play with the fingernails grown long but may wear mizrabs( the pics are small and I only found 2). Ustad Asad Ali Khan plays with mizrabs, Pundit Hindraj Divakar uses mizrabs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Beenkar"
Abdullah Saheb,
There is no ideological struggle.......yes but 'purists' do prefer playing with their nails because it gives the player a better 'feel' of the instrument and a more subtler control over the pluck...
Uhhhhh, Suvir Sahib, I'm not sure you meant to imply that the gentlemen listed above lack "purity" or will eventually be swayed to playing without mizrabs I think your style and gharana may be just as valid and respected as Asad Ali Khans or Shams, but to imply a lack of purity to their traditions seems to be showing disrepect to the traditions they represent. I certainly cannot agree that the beauty of Ustad Asad Ali Khans playing or rendition of the Dhrupad lacks subtlety or control.

Your point about me aquiring a better veena is well taken but instruments are expensive so I'll be playing the one I own for awhile, I'm in the process of recarving and refitting new bridges, nuts, pegs etc so hopefully this instrument will be adequate for me to determine which style I prefer. Of course if I am able to study veen I will follow my ustads instruction.

Reply with quote  #36 
Shashshuddin Faridi Saheb has fantastically strong nails..........he does not need mizrabs and he tunes low enough not to be worried about the damage to his finger nails......Ustad Asad Ali tunes high around G and uses a lot of mizrab in his playing style hence he definitely requires a mizrab , so the issue is certainly the "playing style " ........ as regarding the Dagar Style the emphasis is on using soft strokes and holding on to the stroke till it dissipates on its own...... so one SHOULD NOT hit the strings with fury but care...........by 'purists' I implied those who accept the traditional texts which do not seem to mention the use of any mizrab while plucking......however, that does not imply that the use of mizrab is proscribed............

Let me come back to the original question that baffles most of us here-

When do we say that an instrumental performance is of Dhrupad Style??

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.