INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Tablatastic

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi Guys,

I will be reheading one of my Dayan shells soon which I have had for a while. Due to tuning regularly over the years, the shell has some scratches and also some fading as well. It is made from Sheesham and was thinking about varninishing it to restore the colour.

My question is what type of varnish is the best and can I use varnish to get the wood shell back to its original colour?

Thank you.
hbajpai

Reply with quote  #2 
If you are in the US or Canada, follow these steps. Everything is available at Home Depot or Lowes.

1. Use a random-orbit sander to sand the shell. I recommend start with 100 grit, move up to 120 and then to 150.
2. Use tack cloth to remove the dust between sandings
3. Use Minwax stain (optional) your choice of color and apply using a cloth. Follow instructions on drying times.
4. Use Minwax clear coat/Polyurethane. Apply using a cloth. Apply multiple coats as needed. Follow instructions on drying times.

A. You may skip 3 & 4 and use Shellack. Follow instructions.
B. You may skip 3 and jump right to 4 (my preference) if the shell has no blemishes or sapwood sections.
C. You may skip 4 and apply Miwax Wax instead.
D. You may simply skip 3 and 4 and only do 1 and 2 and apply wax. My preference.
E. You may skip 1 and instead get "Scraper Chemical" sold in spray cans follow instructions. Home Depot sells this stuff that is orange in color. Smells like candy too, but don't eat it :-). It is Biodegradable. Other scraper chemicals are potent and very vaporous.

If you are in India/Pakistan, just pay someone to do it!

Hope this helps.
Tablatastic

Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you for your reply.

I actually live in the United Kingdom so will have to look for equivalent store and similar material. SHould be able to purchase here.

Thank you for listing the process, much appreciated.
hbajpai

Reply with quote  #4 
When I was in London, I remember Homebase. Not sure if they are still around. I was in the UK almost 5 years ago.
Tablatastic

Reply with quote  #5 
You are right. Homebase is still around. I will try there. I was actually thinking of buying a high quality varnish and just use it on small areas to see if that works.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.