INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Mr West

Reply with quote  #1 
This is a question mostly to Nick, A.K.A Trippy Monkey, as I was browsing your photoalbum and saw that you spent some time in the same hoods as me in Varanasi.

I think you mentioned somewhere on this forum that you get your sitars from Nitay and his son? I got my sitars from Sudip a few blocks away, and I´m interested if you have tried his instruments too, or if you could make a comparison between these two makers? I´ve passed Nitay´s shop many times, without going in, but I understand that he and Sudip are two main makers of Varanasi.

Cheers,
KG
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi
I indeed did frequently frequent certain areas of Varanasi but, alas, that's another story.

I got my black Ustadji from Ramesh at SA RE GA MA music shop on Begali Tola near the Chandan caff, another fav haunt as I had a meal there almost every day. It originally came from Nitai himself. It had/has a few things to sort out but it has a lovely tone as Tony K will testify as he managed to sort most things 'wrong' on it when I visited him late last year in Pune. It was only 6 thousand roops anyway.

There are actually very few makers in Varanasi, or India for that matter, as nearly everyone gets their 'bodies (ie pre frets etc) from near Kolkatta so I'm told.
Nitai IS one such maker & very good he can be too. He was making a Rudra Veena when I was there & I saw his lovely handcarved (aren't they all?? ) headstock for it. It's not unknown for a sitar gourd to be opened up for work to be done inside.

I don't think I know Sudip although I might have met him while I was there.
Either way they're a damn sight cheaper than Delhi mixed bag.

I would presume you're actually in Varanasi as we speak. :?

Nick
Mr West

Reply with quote  #3 
Hello,

Thanks for your answer. No, I was there in the begining of the year. Actually I stayed at the Family Guesthouse at the Chandan Café. I liked it alot and I´m planning to go back this winter.

Cheers,
KG
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi again
My first visit to Varanasi on my last trip was oct/nov 05. I then returned to collect my things mid feb this year. Were you there then?
Nick
Mr West

Reply with quote  #5 
I left in the begining of February so I just missed you I guess...
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.