INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
yak.a.co

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi to all. Just curious about one thing I have nearly a minute ago noticed on YouTube. It goes on UVK playing a sitar which has upper tumba mount ... cause players from IKG do not use this my question is, why is this there? Maybe everybody knows ... but I dont :| Thanx for your answers ... Jan

Link here:

... it is visible from 2:00 and then again a pair times ...
yak.a.co

Reply with quote  #2 
Oh ... sorry. I see it completely distubed you! I did not ever say it does matter, I was only curious because I have always thought VK style is without thumba - so what for the mount ... nothing more. This was my first question here and certainly also the last one, I really did not expect anyone to make problem just from a little question. By the way, I am maybe realy stupid not to know this fact about VK sitars that everybody in the whole world knows but if I am such a looser with such an idiotic question why did you lost your time to reply to it? :wink:
plectum

Reply with quote  #3 
@yak.a.co
Brother u r only 2 post old. With time u will be thankful to get a reply, even a condescending one. Just take a look at the number of unaswered questions floating around.

Reply with quote  #4 
Like "D", I had my upper toomba hole sealed. I believe the vast majority of GP (Vilayat Khan style) sitars are made with the upper toomba mount installed and supplied new with an upper toomba. Since they are so easy to unscrew and remove it gives the player the option until they lose or break the upper toomba which often happens. You feel free to post any question, there are no dumb questions, only dumb answers, of which there is an abundance in life, but not from "D" who is one of the more knowledgable afficianados of sitar. Just figure in this case you received your rookie "hazing" and don't think anything more of it. VK was not rigid in most things, he was easy going, sensible, and open-minded. There are many aspects of sitar which are configurable according to the personal taste and playing style of the artist.

It is not a question of "right" and "wrong" or even "better" and "worse" in most cases, just different strokes for different folks.
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #5 
Read through this thread:
http://forums.chandrakantha.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8763

I imagine since this very topic was so recently and extensively discussed that accounts for some of the exasperation. Anyway, the above link should have plenty of information and perspectives on this.
povster

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "yak.a.co"
This was my first question here and certainly also the last one
Jan, don't let one incident throw you. Ask questions, post comments etc. It is what a message board is supposed to be for. Ususally, if a new person asks a question recently discussed, someone would just post a link to that discussion.

povster

Reply with quote  #7 
daryush - I was encouraging Jan to give the place another try. Only one person directly said to Jan to try it again. I wanted to add more encouragement to have Jan just try it again. Really that simple.

Oh - Look at my name on the right of this post. You should also see the date I joined and the number of posts I have made. Just a bit of info as you were not aware of this.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.