INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
VkDevotee

Reply with quote  #1 
I am fortunate enough to have heard different versions of the legendary Ustad's Darbari Kanada.

-the one with Shankar Ghosh (EMI's LP which was re-issued on CD)

-the one with Pandit Kishan Maharaj in London in 2002

But, does the following live concert in Calcutta (with Samta Prasad ji), take the cake?

Alap

Jor

Thanks Ashfaq sahib for sharing a wealth of Ustadji's concerts.
I am sure many of you have heard this version of Darbari already.
John

Reply with quote  #2 
Hello,

I'm no expert, but I know what I like and the Alaap from Vilayat Khansaheb's recording 'When Time Stood Still...' with Kishan-ji is some of the best sitar, nay, the best music I've ever heard.
I watched the DVD on Sunday in remembrance of the late maestro, so it's quite fresh in my mind.

Thanks for the links.

VkDevotee

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "John"
Hello,

I'm no expert, but I know what I like and the Alaap from Vilayat Khansaheb's recording 'When Time Stood Still...' with Kishan-ji is some of the best sitar, nay, the best music I've ever heard.
I watched the DVD on Sunday in remembrance of the late maestro, so it's quite fresh in my mind.

Thanks for the links.
Thanks for your comment. But the jor from this live concert gives one an other worldly experience.
panchamkauns

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "VkDevotee"
But, does the following live concert in Calcutta (with Samta Prasad ji), take the cake?
Yes! This is the best of the three by far!

(At 06:46 and 06:49 (alap) he works his signature phrase in there. It’s in everything he plays!)

(Everyone refers to the When Time Stood Still Darbari as the one with pandit Kishan Maharaj. But it’s also the one with Hidayat Khan, for me its defining feature.)

Reply with quote  #5 
There's another Darbari with Kishen Maharaj, courtesy of holistic. I can't locate his original post so have uploaded here in this folder

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=43b1bc60a0a7e635ab1eab3e9fa335ca5c0f4ec88473fdba

the darbari file 3 leads into bhairavi, (continued in the file named bhairavi), giving about 105 mins of darbari in total.

As far as UVK recordings go, for me the earlier the better....

With Hidayat there's also, of course the 1999 Philadelphia concert (Marwa and Ragamala) with Zakir H. Are there any more concerts with Hidayat, anybody know?
John

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "ragamala"

With Hidayat there's also, of course the 1999 Philadelphia concert (Marwa and Ragamala) with Zakir H. Are there any more concerts with Hidayat, anybody know?
There's a Navras recording of Bhairav Bahar with the same ensemble.

redtape

Reply with quote  #7 
The "original" one from the 70's is the best as far as Ustad Vilayat Khan is concerned ~ LP i believe ~ sorry if thas the one being mentioned, i do not know. Clarity and sublime tabla and tonal control, beautiful ~ again his is not my preferred stye but I love his mastery and "devil may care" attitude. I posted an Alaap ~ different thread ~ but same readers it has to do with a full 7 string sitar setup being "more fluid" by its very nature ~ with practical examples. Its on the Home Page if interested.

http://www.anandvyas.org
ragamala

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "John"

There's a Navras recording of Bhairav Bahar with the same ensemble.
Thanks John, I'd overlooked that.

My info on that one with Bhairo Bahar is actually a Chhanda Dhara release
SNCD 71197
Dawn to Dusk
"Assisted by his son Hidayat Khan on Sitar and Ustad Zakir Hussain on Tabla."
Live recording from a whole night concert, KKL - Stuttgart, Germany 1997.

With Hidayat there's also the "Ragas to Riches" on Navras
Sitar recital Live at the Royal Festival Hall,
London November 5, 2000. Sukhwinder Singh Namdhari on Tabla and Hidayat Hussain on Sitar.
Jhinjhoti, Ragamalika, Shri, Khamaj, Dhun

Also the Kalavant Centre NY 1988 Desh, Khamaj and Tilak Kamod

CDVK2006 Live in Bombay 1999 Jogkauns

Vistaar Navras NRCD 0143 Rageshri

Plus others with Hidayat on tanpura...
John

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "ragamala"

My info on that one with Bhairo Bahar is actually a Chhanda Dhara release
SNCD 71197
Dawn to Dusk
"Assisted by his son Hidayat Khan on Sitar and Ustad Zakir Hussain on Tabla."
Live recording from a whole night concert, KKL - Stuttgart, Germany 1997.
Ah, you're quite right.

ragamala

Reply with quote  #10 
Thanks John for the original comment, I was being lazy and posted before I'd checked my info.

There's a UVK discography I put together a while ago and shared on another forum, but I didn't get any updates, if anyone has anything to add (I haven't kept up with any recent (re)releases) please let me know.

Here it is - published recordings only.

http://www.mediafire.com/?udygmnmw2en
VkDevotee

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "daryush"
this may be a subjective question for some folks, but abbaji, in his very own words said reguarding his darbari kannada with pt shankar ghosh.........."yeh to bas baj gaya,or phir kabhi nahi bajega"! translates into...."that was some uncanny recording that will never be played by me again!"
spoken in my presence at his house in saat bangla, while we(him,amma,zila and hidayat were all listening to the recording.
best,
daryush
Thank you daryush for that anecdote. I am sitting here thinking and imagining how it must have been to be sitting in the same room as the legendary Ustad and listening to his magnum opus. You are truly blessed.
povster

Reply with quote  #12 
The Darbari performance is the one I've had up on Esnips. The alap/jor/jhalla is Darbari. The gat portion is Suha Sughrai. I am pretty sure it is the same MP3 I put on esnips but run through some sound "cleanup", especially because of where it ends in the gat. The full performance, which I have, ends in a drut gat. But that section and some of the later vilambit where warbling so badly on the tape I decided to end it near the end of the vilambit.

I see it is now labeled 1960 Calcutta. That is good info to know. Do you have any idea how this was verified?

All I could glean when I first posted it is that it was 1973 or earlier, as the source tape could not have been made later than 1973.

Thanks!

VkDevotee

Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "povster"
The Darbari performance is the one I've had up on Esnips. The alap/jor/jhalla is Darbari. The gat portion is Suha Sughrai. I am pretty sure it is the same MP3 I put on esnips but run through some sound "cleanup", especially because of where it ends in the gat. The full performance, which I have, ends in a drut gat. But that section and some of the later vilambit where warbling so badly on the tape I decided to end it near the end of the vilambit.

I see it is now labeled 1960 Calcutta. That is good info to know. Do you have any idea how this was verified?

All I could glean when I first posted it is that it was 1973 or earlier, as the source tape could not have been made later than 1973.

Thanks!
Thank you for the information. I got the link for Ashfaqji collection on Mediafire from Ustad Vilayat Khan's facebook page.
So, I don't have any idea about how it was verified to be from 1960.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.