INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
VkDevotee

Reply with quote  #1 
Greetings to all the Indian Classical music connoisseurs.
I am new here. But, I am big fan of Ustad Vilayat Khan.

I am trying to figure out the lyrics of the various bandish that the late Ustad ji presented in his concerts/CDs..

Bhairavi - "Baat chalat Mori chuneriya"

Hameer - "Achanak Mohe Piya aake jagaye"

Shudh Maroo - " Jhuk aayi re.."

Darbari Kanada - Not at all clear from his "When Time stood still" concert in London..

If any of the knowledgeable forumers can shed light into these and provide the fully lyrics, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #2 
Hello & welcome from one of many UVK fans here.

The Bhairavi lyrics are about a girl who's walking along, baat chaalat, whilst walking, nayee chunari rang daari, my new sari is soaked through with colours. Probably Lord Krishna's pranks.
See this clip of more full version from old Bollywood classic 'Rani Rupmati'.

The second could be.. Now my lover comes to wake me!

Are you sure the third one is Jhuk & not Dukh? It would then read... 'Sorrow is coming'

There be some here whose Hindi is so much better than mine & can correct my mistakes.

Nick
VkDevotee

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "trippy
Hello & welcome from one of many UVK fans here.

The Bhairavi lyrics are about a girl who's walking along, baat chaalat, whilst walking, nayee chunari rang daari, my new sari is soaked through with colours. Probably Lord Krishna's pranks.
See this clip of more full version from old Bollywood classic 'Rani Rupmati'.

The second could be.. Now my lover comes to wake me!

Are you sure the third one is Jhuk & not Dukh? It would then read... 'Sorrow is coming'

There be some here whose Hindi is so much better than mine & can correct my mistakes.

Nick
Thank you. Rang daari makes more sense. Really appreciate you clarifying it.
redtape

Reply with quote  #4 
Nick-Bhai your Hindi is great by the way "Ghar" means home ~ as you know he is saying he is either "going to his beloved's house" or " his beloved is coming to his house" ~ either way he is a romantic happy mood.
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #5 
A
Thanks for the comp.
Isn't it so much better when we know the words of the bandishes we use in instrumental music.

I would certainly urge any musos here to, if you can't sing ICM, then learn where your gats came from & what they mean!!!! 8)

We can never forget that VOCAL ICM is the main base for all other forms of ICM. 8)

Nick
redtape

Reply with quote  #6 
I must have to whole heartedly Agree with you once again. Has anyone ever told you that "You the man ~ Brother "? If not then ~ I must say "You the man Brother" :wink: Really ~ one inspiring dude you are. Pure "interesting" optimism and a great sense of humor ~ jeez I better shut up now or people will...
Back to the topic ~ Yes again ~ it is so much better when we know what the weight and feeling of the bandishes we are playing are ~ it is the ACTUAL difference between the "way to academic for me" discussion about "eyepatches" and musical knowledge and appreciation. This is where I can see where the knowledge of the words certainly HAVE a Tangible impact on the performance and performers
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #7 
A
Quit while you're ahead or some may think there's something going on here. :wink:

Are you going to be at the Sankat Mochan Temple concerts in the first week of april?????

Nick
swansong

Reply with quote  #8 
Hey Nick, from studying with Nishat Khansahab it truly makes a huge impact to know the story or context behind the composition, as I've heard many about UVK and his great/great/great grandfathers. In the US Nishat Khansahab enjoys explaining the bandish while playing, then singing and playing the phrase, and then off into space... I trust you've seen him before then being in the UK, as he lived there many years? Though it's difficult to imagine, since I've known him he has refined his technical mastery greater still, and this observation is after 100+ concerts playing tanpura...
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #9 
Hi
I last saw Nishat bhai in London at St John's, Smith Square in th very early 80s. He gave me an invite to a private concert about a week or later. I couldn't go but I still have that invite.
I thought he was exccellent BTW.
I bootlegged the Smith Square concert though.

Nick.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.