INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
mahadev

Reply with quote  #1 

Perfect.

This is epic. This is one of the best recordings of Ustad Vilayat Khan in terms of playing that you will ever hear. If this was recorded in Berlin then there is a master tape at least from the pa or even one with separate microphones.
Must be found ! Do we have any German friends here ?

Everything here came together. He was in a great mood , the sitar sounded great and the sound system was first class. You can hear that. This was a state of the art system. He clearly enjoyed himself.
Can we please have German standards in all the concert halls in India ?
Save the music !

Wow. Just when you think you heard it all....incredible.

I saw him play like that. I remember one concert where the audience forgot to clap. Or rather, decided not to clap because there was no point and nobody wanted to break the spell with the sound of clapping.Curtains closed, the great Ustad left but people just sat in their seats .
After a while everybody left slowly, one by one and almost nobody spoke.
It was quite unreal. After that concert I knew who he was. Everybody knew. He left nobody in any doubt.

To those on this board who saw the great master musicians of India in the 20th century in their prime , you know how lucky we were ? They will forever define this music. It was a great privilege.
Somebody pinch me. But we are all lucky. We can hear these giants anytime at the touch of a button.
Turn up the volume !

Maybe some of our collector-pandits can find a better version of this recording.

Happy 2016 everyone !

Reply with quote  #2 
It's incredible, thank you for sharing. Unfortunately I was born too late and missed seeing these legends in their prime. At least we have these quality recordings. I would love to see a video of this performance.

Shame someone keeps coughing during the performance.

barend

Reply with quote  #3 
Awesome recording! Thanks. What year is that approximately? The quality is almost too good to be from the 60's.
Really love the old 60's/70's VK stuff.

Also love this classic VK Khamaj. It was the first recording I ever heard of VK:
mahadev

Reply with quote  #4 
No idea. Could well be 60's or 70's.
Ever seen one of these ?
sp9.jpg STELLAVOX SP9, 1970's, designed by Georges Quellet, Switzerland .

Who needs digital ? Dust off your analogue gear , folks. Lest we forget.
How would you like your pizza ? Wood oven or microwave ?

Reply with quote  #5 
Finally got round to listening to this. Absolutely wonderful...he had a sort of majestic, powerful prowl to his playing. His brother (my beloved teacher) once told me that he played like a tiger, and I can think of no better description. I also love that picture of UVK, one of my favorites.

Edit: Still, doesn't quite unseat the '68 Darbari with Shankar Ghosh. If I'm going to pick a favourite that one still retains my loyalty, even if it is a bit clich
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.