INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
dhruvsodha

Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "tabliya"
I believe this link will explain the construction of the surbahar...

http://sanjannagar.wordpress.com/2008/07/09/famous-sitar-player-ustad-shujaat-khans-visit-to-sanjannagar/
Why is it that the tuning pegs for the taraf strings are on the right hand side of the instrument :?:
Guessing it was made for a left-handed sitar player? Shujaat Khansahib is right-handed
mhamlin

Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "dhruvsodha"
Quote:
Originally Posted by "tabliya"
I believe this link will explain the construction of the surbahar...

http://sanjannagar.wordpress.com/2008/07/09/famous-sitar-player-ustad-shujaat-khans-visit-to-sanjannagar/
Why is it that the tuning pegs for the taraf strings are on the right hand side of the instrument :?:
Guessing it was made for a left-handed sitar player? Shujaat Khansahib is right-handed
I'm sure the image just got mirrored somewhere along the way. The composition of the page is certainly better with the image backwards, though 8)
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #18 
Greetings, Mr. Razaq.

I salute your efforts in creating an awarness and market for these instruments. If you can generate the quality control there and have in production instruments such as the Sur-Bahar Khansahib has used, you should have a welcoming customer base in the USA and elsewhere. My very best wishes go out to you in this regard.

Sincerly.

Tony Karasek

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Reply with quote  #19 
I'm sure the image just got mirrored somewhere along the way.

Indeed the image got flopped. Shujaat wears that bracelet on his right wrist and a watch on his left. If the image is reversed the bracelet is on the correct wrist and the maker is now right handed.

Mulamoodan

Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "povster"

Indeed the image got flopped. Shujaat wears that bracelet on his right wrist and a watch on his left. If the image is reversed the bracelet is on the correct wrist and the maker is now right handed.
Good observation, Sherlock Holmester..
povster

Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Mulamoodan"
Quote:
Originally Posted by "povster"

Good observation, Sherlock Holmester..
Elementary. 8)

Adain

Reply with quote  #22 
Thanks for taking the time to help, I really apprciate it.

Reply with quote  #23 
I'm bumping this old thread because, 1., its just so interesting (what a strange variation on surbahar!), and 2., I wondered about the stringing...it appears to be a six string. Three chikari, and three main strings. Is it likely with a low Pa, or low Sa, I wonder? I've never seen that before.

I have pondered and perhaps discussed doing separate jawari sections for each string (much like guitar saddles, allowing for easy adjustment on a per string basis), interesting to see this put into practice!

Also, anyone know if this one found a a happy home?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.