INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
haldamos

Reply with quote  #1 
Saturday, February 6, 2010, 8 PM

Shujaat Khan and Abhiman Kaushal will be performing in Los Angeles. Last year's concert was great fun, and I hope to see some of you there again this time.

http://www.musiccircle.org/

Herrick Chapel
(at the end of Alumni Ave, past Campus Rd)
Occidental College
Los Angeles, CA 90041

Reply with quote  #2 
Bump...since there's been lots of talking, how about some listening!

Reply with quote  #3 
What a great concert. Khan sahib is so charismatic and emotional when he plays; it goes straight to the audience. You don't just listen but you feel.

Of the many sitar concerts in CA that I have been going to this one left me the most touched; its just a product of Khan Sahib's playing.

Also, listening to him on records and through youtube does NO justice at all. Being there live, there are so many subtleties you would miss otherwise. He really does make his sitar sing and his meends are so fluid and smooth.

Abhiman Kaushal was a pleasure to listen to as always. They make a great team.

It was a great experience, glad i made the drive down. Btw, did anyone know what raag he played in the beginning?
haldamos

Reply with quote  #4 
Anju,

Agreed, it was a really great performance! The first rag was Hemant. (Or Pancham, as he grew up knowing it.) Ashish Khansahib was in the audience, and he wanted to pay tribute to his father, the great Ustad Ali Akbar Khan, by presenting a rag that the late Ustad enjoyed.

Second half was Kirwani and a short Pahari ended it. Very satisfying concert. And you are right, youtube or a recording can never quite capture the total concert experience. Unfortunately, I think it will be a while till he performs again in So Cal.

He will be playing at the AACM College in San Rafael on 15 May. I will post an announcement.

PH

Reply with quote  #5 
Oh good to know! I will defintely mark my calender.

I actually did see Ustad Aashish Khan! Its always funny to see these great performers in casual clothing ans settings. What a nice tribute that Pancham was; honestly, I wont ever forget it. The other two raags were great too but hard to follow up the first half, but I know 'one guy' was really enjoying the Pahari hahaha
John

Reply with quote  #6 
I wish Ustaadji would come to the UK.

We get maybe one 'big name' player a year, if we're lucky, and that's usually in London.

Hmmm... maybe I should get a few UK gourd-heads together & organise something. I'll start another thread...

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.