Date – April 5th through to April 10th

Location – 139 , east 13th St
Apt – 4C
New York , NY 10003

Contact
Phone – 646-483-4935
480-329-5672
e-mail – shahidparvezinfo@gmail.com

Ustad Shahid Parvez Khan is one of the finest sitar players alive today. His dazzling virtuosity and innovative genius have earned him a legacy as a giant of the sitar.

For further information visit http://www.shahidparvezkhan.com

Mulamoodan

Reply with quote  #2 
Please keep us updated of any planned USP concerts in the Northeast US (NY area)..
Really want to listen to this man.
coughcapkittykat

Reply with quote  #3 
a slight tangent....do any players of this calibre come to the UK? I'm sure they must do but I've never heard of it and wouldn't know where to look.
soul1newyorkcity

Reply with quote  #4 
So excited.. I just signed up for 4 lessons with him while he's in town.... And yes.. they are one on one lessons. But I have to admit for some reason I'm a little nervous sitting in front of the man himself!!
Mulamoodan

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "soul1newyorkcity"
So excited.. I just signed up for 4 lessons with him while he's in town.... And yes.. they are one on one lessons. But I have to admit for some reason I'm a little nervous sitting in front of the man himself!!
Er.. You noticed that the event in question was last April, am I correct?
mhamlin

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Mulamoodan"
Quote:
Er.. You noticed that the event in question was last April, am I correct?
Well, according to USP's website he has a concert in New York sometime next month...I have to believe that soul1newyorkcity has his lessons then, unless he has a time machine 8)
soul1newyorkcity

Reply with quote  #7 
LOL.. He's actually going to be in town this October... and he's doing a concert in Queens at the Hindu temple October 11th and my lessons with him are on the 5th, 6th and twice on the 7th of October...

AND yes... Still a little nervous!! :roll: :mrgreen:
Mulamoodan

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
LOL.. He's actually going to be in town this October... and he's doing a concert in Queens at the Hindu temple October 11th and my lessons with him are on the 5th, 6th and twice on the 7th of October...

AND yes... Still a little nervous!! :roll: :mrgreen:
Good for you! I do not know him personally, but looks like he is an earnest and down-to-earth teacher. Let us know of your experience afterwards. But, I am a little skeptic about the usefulness of such short term tuitions, unless you have specific questions to ask. So my opinion would be: do your homework, do not be dazzled by the aura and know what you want.
soul1newyorkcity

Reply with quote  #9 
I will definatly keep you posted on my experience...

To my understanding he is actually in NYC about 4times a year and does 3-7 day retreats... I'm sure whatever I learn will be very useful in my long term goals as a sitarist. Even if I don't learn much because of the short time span... his influence will last a lifetime and the experience to be working one on one with such an amazing musician is priceless!
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #10 
I completely disagree with the thought that these short sessions are of no use.
I have taken small groups of lessons with some really great teachers and learned a great deal.
I have had lessons with Partha Chatterjee, Rajeev Taranath, and Partho Sarathy.
Each time I learned something new and different.
I gained from another perspective.
My teacher suggested all of these sessions so I could gain from the experience that these teachers provide.

I do believe that to excel in sitar you HAVE to have a regular lesson schedule with a good teacher.
But the occasional master class never hurt anyone.
It is a standard in all Classical forms.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.